Rip Off Britain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
I've was in the USA about two weeks ago and was amazed to find that the Leatherman wave was a mere $69.00 about £37.00 and the Super Tool came in at a lightweight $59.00 about £31.00. Over here we are talking about £100.00 for the Wave.

I was amazed at the prices and range of outdoor,fishing and hunting kit available at the equivalent of your local Asda.

Comprehensive survival kits for $12.00

Maglite AA's including holster and two spare krypton bulbs for a miserly $8.49.

Rip off Britain or what! If you guys can source kit form any friends relatives you might have in the US of A I suggest you send a wish list and some dosh and get it shipped while the dolar to pound exchange is still good.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yeah, I have a Gran in Kentucky and we used to get loads of stuff shipped to her, either to pick up, or to have forwarded. Wal-mart and K-mart carry pretty good stuff......but....

If you REALLY want to make yourself feel miserable. Check out:
www.cabelas.com
www.llbean.com
www.basspro.com

They all do free catalogs to the UK. The Cabelas camo is a riot, as are some of the other things they carry, propane fired turkey fryer anyone? :lol:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
How about camo baby cloths and camo bed quilts to match!

"Now you too can lose your child without ever leaving the comfort of your own home." :rolmao:

Never mind the real risk of losing junior when you take him outside!

Joking apart, they do carry some really top notch gear at pretty good prices, and their returns policies are amazing. I had a Dry-plus jacket from Cabelas, used it on and off for 6 years. In the 5th year the membrain fell to bits, dissintergrated into thousands of 1mm wide hexagons. Since my mate's Gore-tex, bought at the same time, was still going strong, I sent the jacket back, just to see if they could tell me what happened to it. Didn't expect any refund, not after 6 years!! They offered me 50% of the value of the jacket without prompting, which isn't bad!!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Yeah, but by doing that they kept you as a customer! That's what matters.

UK stores (no matter what they sell) could learn from out friends across the pond a thing or two about keeping customers.

C_Claycomb said:
Didn't expect any refund, not after 6 years!! They offered me 50% of the value of the jacket without prompting, which isn't bad!!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Even with import tax on top, the prices can be unbeatable. Add to that the quality of service usually seen and the amazing range ... well, it can be well worth it.

However, always factor in having to cough up import tax ... :-D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Import tax can make you a lot less happy when you get your package. I have been lucky getting things forwarded as gifts. The value limit on commercial parcels is £18 I think. Private gifts are £36 (again, that is going on memory). Best bet is to cultivate a barter system with a friendly American bushcrafter :wink:

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I've seen Akubra hats for sale over here at £75-£80.

Saw them on an Aussie web site, all in with postage to the UK by airmail (10days delivery) £48.

Do you have to pay import tax on everything from everywhere? And isn't import tax another example of rip off britain?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
you don't pay tax on items bought within the EU as long as VAT is paid in the country of origin.

you can buy stuff up to the value of 18 quid tax free ouside the EU.

you can accept gifts from outside the EU of upto to 38 quid.

apart from that you should pay import duty (varies according to products), vat and a handling fee (for the carriers who have to deal with customs on your behalf) on everthing else, and that includes the postage too!

what rip off?

cheers, and.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
As far as I understand the rules, the import taxes only apply to new items.

TAHAWK said:
How are "used" items treated by the tax-barrier system and what makes a knife, for example, "used"?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I agree Sargey ... even if you bank on paying the import duty you can still get some super deals that are cheper than anything you get here in the UK. You just need to shop about!

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I should point out that there's a reasonable chance you'll never have to pay the duty, as long as you're not bringing in truck loads. You should budget for having to pay it though, just in case.

Another option is to have someone Stateside do your shopping for you (or act as a proxy in e-bay) and then forward the goods to you. Repackaged as birthday presents, or whatever. A lot less likely to attract customs attention than a franked parcel from a trader. It also allows you to bid on e-bay items which are only available to buyers in CONUS. Which can be very handy at times ;)

Nick in Belfast

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I ordered some electronics gear from the US - I had to pay VAT but no import duty. As folks have said, it still works out cheaper.

Never had to pay anything when importing bits and bobs from Brisa in Finland.

I've also never had to pay anything on 2nd hand stuff from the US that I won on ebay, even if over £18.

Lots of wildfowlers round here source their kit fom Cabelas.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Ahhh now Hoodoo has revealed himself (not in the biblical sense)

We will all be knocking on his door to source kit for us! :yikes:

:shock:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
How are "used" items treated by the tax-barrier system and what makes a knife, for example, "used"?

if it doesn't fall into one of the categories above, used or not you ought to pay taxes on it. however used is usually cheaper than brandy spankin' new, so you pay taxes on what ever the value is, you shouldn't get charged taxes on the cost of a new one. an old friend of mine who worked in the states for a while, used to sell kit to a thrift store, then buy it back and keep the reciepts. if he was accosted in customs at the airport, he had proof that what he'd bought wasn't very expensive. i think this sort of behaviour is reprehensible. i really do.

:wink:

Another option is to have someone Stateside do your shopping for you (or act as a proxy in e-bay) and then forward the goods to you. Repackaged as birthday presents, or whatever. A lot less likely to attract customs attention than a franked parcel from a trader. It also allows you to bid on e-bay items which are only available to buyers in CONUS. Which can be very handy at times ;)

i bought a watch for my wife from the states a while ago, they had marked it gift, but the postage was franked with company info. the watch was held by customs demanding invoices and proof of the goods value. even after all the taxes, it was still about 25% cheaper than the highstreet.

as an aside, if the value of your gift is between 45euros and a couple of hundred there is a basic rate, two point something percent, that will be applied if the rate is in your favour. last time i checked, knives were about 8 percent.

cheers, and.

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
another good example of rip-off Britain....

i wanted a fly fishing vest which retails at $135 in the USA but a typically ridiculous £135 in the UK. I emailed the manufacturer's offices over here and politely suggested that they review their pricing due the the strength of the £ against the $. And it worked too - they reduced the vest to £125 :evil:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE