Rifle laws.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Just out of curiosity what are the laws regarding ownership of a rifle? something just to shoot bunnies? i know that obviously you need permission of land owner etc.. but what is the best rifle for this and what are the laws?I know you need to have a cabinet for a shotgun and a license as my grandad used to shoot but is this the same for a rifle?

any help as always is great!:D

Dan

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
For rabbits you'll want an air-rifle or a rimfire rifle. Air rifles under 12 ft/lb muzzle energy you don't need a license for. You need virtually perfect shot placement but you can use these tools to humanely tkae bunnies out to about 30 yards. There are several different power sources (spring/ram; co2; precharged), each with their own good and bad points.Quality pellets are round 1p each but you must also factor in the cost of the power source, and the cost of the gun (this generally being higher thqan cartridge guns).

Rimfires come in a small variety of types of cartridge, the most common being the .22 long rifle. This is also the cheapest -- somewhere around 6p per round. Rifles are generally cheaper than air rifles.

If you want a rimfire or air rifle over 12 ft/lb you need a firearms certificate. £50 application fee. You need a cabinet like for a shotty; basic ones around around £100. Usually takes quite a while for the paperwork to go through. Interview, many background checks, character references etc.

What more do you want to know mate?

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
whatever is the most suitable for a bit of rabbiting really?

Short range (<30yds) bunnies and small areas of land: Air rifle sub 12ftlbs -no licence

Short to medium range (<60yds) bunnies: FAC air-rifle, .22LR Rimfire or other variants of .22 rimfire, excluding CB cap, .17Mach2. FAC needed.

Medium to long range (<120yd): .22LR, .22 win magnum, .17HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire) -head shots only if you want to eat them (and why wouldn't you?) FAC needed.

Long Range (be sensible this is live quarry! 150yd max): .17HMR. Centrefire calibres not included for sanities sake. FAC needed.

In addition to the bureaucracy and costs above, the land has to be approved by the police for use with any calibre/rifle other than sub 12ftlbs air-rifles, unless you have an "open" ticket FAC (which you won't get at first). Some land is already registered but the inspection lapses after a few years.

.22LR is the standard choice of the various rimfire options: efficiently silenced subsonic ammunition is quieter than many air-rifles.

I use a Sako Quad (http://www.sako.fi/), which allows use of different barrels on same action, covering calibres .17mach2, .17HMR, .22LR, .22WMR It is not as useful as you might think! Only ever use .17HMR and a separate .22LR rifle as re-zero is a pain between barrel changes.

Legal limit air-rifles are an excellent starting point so long as you can get close enough for accurate shot placement. Some land just isn't like that.

Above all; Respect your quarry. People will tell you that the ranges above are too short- don't kid yourself. Get plenty of practice on targets, simulating the shooting positions and ranges you will be using. Do not risk maiming a living creature- your duty as a hunter is humane dispatch of quarry and gun safety.

Happy hunting!

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
thanks alot for all your help guys. any recommendations for a decent (not too expensive) legal air rifle?

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I would reccomend you start with a quality springer from one of the big names,
BSA Lightning
Webley Stingray
HW 99S
HW 95
Air Arms TX200
Don't forget to budget for a quality telescopic sight and silencer.

Wot he said.

Personally I LOVE pneumatics, but they cost more.

Don't scrimp on the scope or mounts! You can transfer the scope to another gun if you trade up in future. The old rule of by a scope and mounts, then spend the leftover on the rifle is true (to an extent).

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
One question to add if he goes for a air rifle over 12lbs and FAC is the land used still need to be approved?
I'm guessing the answer is yes as the range of the rifle will be greatly increased and therefore questions arising to proximity of general public would be a concern.
I would really like to start a bit of shooting myself but seems like a bit of an uphill struggle considering I can't even get any private land to walk/camp on!!
dave

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
One question to add if he goes for a air rifle over 12lbs and FAC is the land used still need to be approved?
I'm guessing the answer is yes as the range of the rifle will be greatly increased and therefore questions arising to proximity of general public would be a concern.
I would really like to start a bit of shooting myself but seems like a bit of an uphill struggle considering I can't even get any private land to walk/camp on!!
dave

Yes, any FAC firearm would need to be used on approved land, unless you hold an "open ticket".

If you are interested in shooting, you don't need the land to buy a <12ftlbs air rifle. There are lots of target shooting clubs, including field target stuff. Hunter Field Taget is intended to simulate hunting type shots (eg. in woodland, ground and elevated targets) and doesn't need expensive gear. It provides good training before you consider live quarry.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
dave

Try your local farmers, those growing crops will be glad of a bit of cheap/free vermin control. Those with livestock should also be happy as the warrens turn the ground to swiss cheese and livestock break their legs when their foot goes down a warren. Don't go in rig, turn up in smart casuals looking as responsible as possible. Explain what you are offering and your self imposed rules such as not shooting in a field if his livestock is present and hopefully you will get that first permission.

Try to make the farmer think that having you on the land will benefit him by offering to keep an eye on his livestock when you do your rounds and report anything that looks untoward, especially when lambing season is under way. They have a lot on their plate at that time and will often be totally knackered so any help will be valued. If you see breaks in the fence, possibly dangeropus items strewn about or anything liable to cause harm or injury to his livestock, make a quick fix and report it to him as soon as you can. Also, keep an eye out for people coming on to the land to shoot without permission, kick them off the land and inform the farmer with names if possible so that he can keep an eye out himself. Whilst you are on his land, you are basically working for him and you need to help him out as much as possible. Offer him a few rabbits now and then, he may not want them though.

Best of luck getting the permission, it is hard work getting that first one but it would be worth it in the end. Sit down and put yourself in his shoes and think of as many things that would convince you to let somebody wander about on your land when your livestock is on there. Don't lie, but don't sell yourself short.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Spamel, thanks for that. I am not at the mo in the position to approach a farmer as I am not ready regarding accuracy and respect for game ie knowledge to cleanly dispatch an injured animal (hopefully not necessary) But its a vicious circle as I really need to somewhere to practice shooting to begin with as I have no where! Also I have a donated 22 which is awful and only has iron sites so will need to upgrade soon.
Great advice I will let you know how I get on.
Dave

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Tommy, as suggested try and find yourself a local target club. You will be able to have lots of practise, try out different gear before buying, you can try out rimmies and such, and make friends. Shooting really improves with advice too; as with most skills having someone more experienced than you is invalluable.

Oh, and ironsights aren't neccesarily bad, though you can get some terrible ironsights... just as you can get terrible glass.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Got to agree with the iron sights comment. I passed an Annual Weapons Test once with iron sights on the old SA80 and missed one target only! The first time I used the SA80 with a SUSAT, I had big problems. This wasn't because the SUSAT is rubbish, it is because people don't know how to use them and I got one that had previously belonged to that person who didn't have a clue!

To change the windage, you screw out one screw on one side of the sight and screw in on the other. The previous owner hadn't done that though, and the sight was flopping about all over the place. This only became apparent after I had tried zeroing for about an hour, new to the SUSAT I didn't have a clue how it worked and the Skill at Arms Instructors said there was nothing wrong with it. I took them on their word until I sat down with my basic knowledge of optics, shooting and engineering and noticed that the sight wobbled slightly! After doing the pinch bolts up, it shot straight and true and I passed my APWT first time. I was never as good with a SUSAT as I was with iron sights though, I had used iron sights on the SA80 for nigh on twelve years and suddenly had this new sight thrust upon me. I asked to have iron sights fitted but was denied as the role of our unit required SUSAT to be fitted. I suppose I had got comfortable with iron sights!

I think it takes greater skill to shoot with iron sights, so if you practice with them for a good time and get very accurate with them, once you stick a scope on you'll be able to shoot very accurately.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE