Ridiculous laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just heard on the radio there are still some ridiculous laws in this world:

- When you live in York, you are still allowed to shoot a Scotsman with bow and arrow - accept on a sunday. :D

- In California (US) you are not allowed to cycle in a swimming pool.

- In the US it's not allowed to leave an airplain which is in full flight.

- In Denmark, you are not allowed to start you car's engine while there is someone laying underneath it.

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Cool! I live in York, and I'm (sort of) a Scotsman. Arg!

In a similar vein, you're allowed to kill Welshmen in Bath under similar conditions. Obviously both places had minor invasion problems for a while! :)

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
jim_w said:
In a similar vein, you're allowed to kill Welshmen in Bath under similar conditions. Obviously both places had minor invasion problems for a while! :)

And Chester I think. As I'm Welsh it's a good job I decided to live in East Anglia - I think we were too lazy to get that far. :)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
You guys must be telepathic, I was only talking to the people at work about the welshman and bath law yesterday and said I'd hook out that website.

Cheers Danzo

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
mmmm now this one I like

All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.

wonder if its possible to get that enforced.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Danzo said:
Try this.......

www.dumblaws.com

:D

Danzo

Completely brilliant mate, cheers!! :D
Immediately checked the dutch dumblaws ... don't know what's dumb about them though ... :rolleyes:

Lithril said:
You guys must be telepathic (...)

Don't you know Big Brother is watching YOU :eek: ;) :D

Is there some room for a dutchie on your island guys? I'm thinking of moving to the UK, 'cause I like that bow & arrow idea :D LOL

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ahjno said:
Is there some room for a dutchie on your island guys? I'm thinking of moving to the UK, 'cause I like that bow & arrow idea :D LOL

Plenty of room Ahjno,
Just don't expect the Celts to stand there and take it...... some of us might shoot back, and we've been practicing for quite a while :cool: :eek:

;)

Ogri the trog

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
...Even some of those filthy Saxons might take a pot shot or two... ;)

Interestingly though, the Dutch were the last people to successfully invade this country, so we'd better watch out! But anyway, why are you called Dutch, yet you live in Holland which is also called the Netherlands? Please explain all of this as I'm a tad confused (which is nothing new).

Oh, and unfortunately we can't take sheep across London Bridge anymore... :(

M

marcja

Spacemonkey said:
But anyway, why are you called Dutch, yet you live in Holland which is also called the Netherlands? Please explain all of this as I'm a tad confused

I don't claim to be an expert on languages but here goes!

The word Dutch is from West Germany, The Dutch name for the language is Nederlands (hence Netherlands). I believe tha name Dutch is derived from a german word called Dietch, which has the same derivation as Deutsch which of course is German for 'German'.

Hence why our counterparts in Holland are sometimes called Dutch & other times called Netherlandic.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Marcja,
That's impressive mate!! Couldn't have done that better myself!! :eek: Even most Dutch don't know why they are called "Dutch" abroad ... :rolleyes:

Found a bit about this here and hereat Wikipedia.
Used Wiki, 'cause that explanation is far more better than I could have done in English.

Spacemonkey,
Hope the explanations are of some help ;)

Ogri the Trog,
As you say ... SOME of you MIGHT shoot back ... :p
But mate, I've changed my mind, I won't shoot at my fellow bushcrafti ;) - "even" if they are Celts :p ;) :D, but I didn't got scared by the thought of a bunch of fearless and bearded Celts with bronze helmets waving with big batons, knives and swords shooting back though :eek: LOL

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
marcja said:
I don't claim to be an expert on languages but here goes!

The word Dutch is from West Germany, The Dutch name for the language is Nederlands (hence Netherlands). I believe tha name Dutch is derived from a german word called Dietch, which has the same derivation as Deutsch which of course is German for 'German'.

Hence why our counterparts in Holland are sometimes called Dutch & other times called Netherlandic.

The English used to use the terms "High Germans" and Low Germans" for what we would now call "Germans" and "Dutch". Similar to the Dutch term "Nederduits" that has fallen out of usage.

The Dutch term "neder" is almost identical to the English word "nether", that English people seem to hardly ever use nowadays, except for "Netherlands" (which has replaced the earlier term "Low Countries") and "nether regions" (a euphemism, often jocular, for genitalia).

A few street names include the word "nether", such as "Nethergate" and "Upper Gate Road" in Stannington.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Sta....390546,-1.549823&spn=0.010054,0.016716&hl=en

Keith.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ahjno said:
Ogri the Trog,
As you say ... SOME of you MIGHT shoot back ... :p
But mate, I've changed my mind, I won't shoot at my fellow bushcrafti ;) - "even" if they are Celts :p ;) :D, but I didn't got scared by the thought of a bunch of fearless and bearded Celts with bronze helmets waving with big batons, knives and swords shooting back though :eek: LOL

He he, You'd be welcome here anyway Ahjno.
It seems to be a very Celtic thing, if a visitor comes in peace - he's made welcome, but if he comes behind the point of a sword - then he gets everything thrown at him that the tribe can muster.

For those of you that are still thinking of bagging a Welshman with a bow, I read somewhere that the best archers in Britain were said to be from the "Mouth of the Severn" to the "Upper reaches of the Wye".

Also as a point of interest, there are, aparently under heavy security in some great collection, "wager slips", written by the Kings Vanguard archers. The bet was - to shoot an arrow at an opposing knight, the arrow was to pierce the plate leg armour, chainmail, leg, other side armour, saddle - then kill the horse on which the knight was mounted. The effect on the marale of both armies of seeing a screaming knight, skewered to a dead horse could turn the courage of many an experienced soldier. And all this at ranges in the order of 400 yards. Just think about that for a moment, truly frightening times.

Ogri the trog

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
My my, how tribal this thread is, and how interesting.

Lithril said:
All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.

wonder if its possible to get that enforced.
It's my understanding that the law has never in fact been repealed. Now that would set a very interesting modern day precedent ;)

On how Nations come by their names, it's always seemed to me only polite to call a Nation what it calls itself. It may be impossible to learn all the lanugages of the world but learning their propper names would be nice. Admittedly that's an Ideal and not something I've achieved in practice.

Actually, having said that, I think one of the earliest names for this country is Albion. Hmmm, this could get too complicated.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
FeralSheryl said:
On how Nations come by their names, it's always seemed to me only polite to call a Nation what it calls itself. It may be impossible to learn all the lanugages of the world but learning their propper names would be nice. Admittedly that's an Ideal and not something I've achieved in practice.

Like "Inuit" instead of "Eskimo"...

The Russian name for a German is "Nemets". Supposedly, this means "dumb" (as is "speachless" or "unintelligible"), on account of the Germans not speaking Russian...

A book I've just read describes certain religious ceremonies in and around Athens in the 1st Cntury BC. A condition for participating in one of these is "to have no blood on one's hands and to speak intelligeably", taken to mean "be able to speak Greek".

FeralSheryl said:
Actually, having said that, I think one of the earliest names for this country is Albion. Hmmm, this could get too complicated.

Confusing the name of the territory given by one tribe at a particular moment, with the name given by a tribe that arrived later and became dominant.

The land is now England, the land of the English, and has been for over a thousand years.

Keith.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
you are allowed to shoot welshmen from the walls of chester (only with a crossbow, not with a longbow.)
have you any idea how hard it is to buy a crossbow in chester???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE