Ridgeline monsoon elite smock

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Just thought I would sing it's praises. Got one last week in teak (which is actually a lot darker than the website images).

The jacket is incredibly waterproof it has a very impressive hood which seems strange to say but hoods annoy me a lot if they blow down or are to restricting.

The material feels very fabricy and not like a plastic bag which a lot of waterproof jackets do. Overall I can't fault it. I also really like the double cuffs and adjustable waist for tailoring it nicely in windy weather.

Not the cheapest no, but for what you get it's fantastic.

I gave it a test past 2 days thanks to this great weather and was bone dry after a solid hour of torrential rain.

Very happy with my latest purchase.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
What's the difference between the monsoon 2 & the elite ?. I've got the 2 in a smock, & the original in a full zip jacket, I love them, so sounds like I need the elite if there's a difference.

Rob

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
As far as I'm aware they changed the material outer for ye elite. And a few small changes. Scotcountry.co.uk have videos on there website of the elite in sure. I belive they increased the breathability of the material as well. I was originally looking at a Swazi Tahr but considering both that and the ridge line are almost identical to look at the 200 saving made up my mind.

I'll get some pics uploaded after Iv used it out over night. But so far. Amazing.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Woof, how long have you had you're ridgeline jackets?

I'v been looking at them for ages but I'm always wary of (what seems to me) a half price copy of a premium brand
Maybe that's a little unfair as I have seen one in a shop and it looked perectly well made

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
It has a side zip on the left hand side which doesn't actually expose your body when unzipped. It adds another 6inches or so to the "skirt" area which is used for when you sit down or according to the descript. When on a quad or similar.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Woof, how long have you had you're ridgeline jackets?

I'v been looking at them for ages but I'm always wary of (what seems to me) a half price copy of a premium brand
Maybe that's a little unfair as I have seen one in a shop and it looked perectly well made

I've had the smock from new & got that in sept 2012, the jacket version I got used off here earlier this year. I got the jacket, as the smock has had a lot of use & is starting to smell of dog !, so wanted something a bit smarter, for when I'm out & about.
I love them, the smock can get a bit warm, but boy are they weather proof, I was out in a hail storm working the dogs about 0430 one morning, they weren't happy but I was grinning my head off, I was so snug inside the smock, & I actually walked further than I intended !

Rob

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So bought one for my birthday too and well chuffed with it. Went for the large. Its already had time out on the hills walking and some bird watching, and some sitting around in the wind and rain at the bottom of a rock face while my Explorer scouts worked on their climbing badge and so far its ace. No problem over heating on the hill walks, wearing a merino shirt and body warmer resulted in no worse sweating than my other goretex water proofs. Id prefer the pockets to be a little higher up like the goretex.....but I guess thats just that Im used to sticking my hands into chest pockets. Its even had a few compliments which was nice :)

Got mine from Scott Country. rang them for sizing advice, ordered it on the Tuesday morning and it arrived Wednesday afternoon.

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
i bought one this week haven't had a chance to try it for real yet.
i'm just close enough to have visited the bushcraft store.
got the large as the medium was just good enough in the width of the skirt when walking but i thought it would be tight when having to stretch out the stride on rough ground.
the breathability is 'supposed' to have been improved.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Great thank you for reply. Need a waterproof for hillwalking and want to try the smock design. Its no good if I couldnt get a Ordance Survey map in the zipped pocket.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE