Ridgeline Monsoon Elite, anyone use one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
​The Pintail caught my eye yesterday, so I went onto the Scott Country website and discovered the awesome Monsoon Elite. Does anyone have experience of this smock? And is that colour they call Teak really as yellow as it looks in many of the stock pics? And as a wearer of glasses, would the hood cinch cause problems, mostly I buy jackets with wired hoods for this reason?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've replied over on BB(dogman)the teak is a great colour & its not yellow, but I only have the monsoon 2, not the new elite. I also have the monsoon in a full zip. I find the hood a good shape & size but I don't wear glasses all the time.
Being more breathable would be a bonus, but the one I have doesn't bother me, just dress accordingly, & they are storm proof.

Rob

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
someone wouldnt happen to know the weight of the pintail smock would they? nowhere seems to have it posted

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
can be sweaty so went for a full front zip coat

A lot of people have said this and Ridgeline have listened. The new material is more breathable, and there's a zip to expand the hem. Also, the hood is detachable.

I'm very tempted, seems like a lot of jacket for the money.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
A lot of people have said this and Ridgeline have listened. The new material is more breathable, and there's a zip to expand the hem. Also, the hood is detachable.

I'm very tempted, seems like a lot of jacket for the money.

Its better but nothing helps more than a full zip, they make other excellent jackets this style and to me at least gives more flexibility

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Got a jacket of theirs, not sure what model, its a great bit of kit and crazy value for the money. Love it. If they are making a lighter one then I DO NOT need to know or I will most likely buy one.
FWIW the shop I bought from sells to ghillies and stalkers etc and the owner was whingeing that the stuff doesnt qear out fast enough so he is losing out......
no affiliation etc just a happy punter.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Great jacket, teak definitely not yellow! Not made for physical exertion I think, but depends on what you're layering it with? A baselayer seems fine underneath but if stationary a thinner fleece or shirt could be used. I haven't got the newer one, and the hood is detachable via a zip? Have heard of installing pit zips or hole vents under the arm for ventilation...
The idea of a zip either side makes sense though

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

JDCP

Nov 2, 2005
South Staffordshire
I've had a monsoon elite smock for a few months now. It's teak (sort of muddy off brown) I think it's a fairly unobtrusive drab sort of colour and enables you to blend into the landscape well enough. So far it's kept the weather out very well. It warms up rapidly if I'm walking briskly for 10 mins or more. I manage the heat by undoing the front zip (it's not full length-just to the sternum or thereabouts) and the side zip. That seems to work for me. Having said that I do run hot. I wouldn't wear the smock for any sustained work unless the weather was utterly foul and very cold. It would be good for periods where you're not moving around (campfire, photographing stuff etc ). The warming up thing that folks talk about isn't that much different to that which I experience with goretex to be honest. The fact is if I'm too hot I'll manage my layers...or take the coat off!
I like the Ridgeline. The pockets are ok, the hood is fine (a bit hard to look around with it up- but well weather proof). It's quieter than the goretex. I've yet to try it in real weather like on a Munroe or something, so we'll see.

Regards.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
I have a Ridgeline Torrent II in teak. Great colour. Been out in really bad rain and definitely waterproof. It does run a bit warm but breathability is no worse than a Mountain Equipment Ogre Goretex Pro She'll jacket I had. Hood fits well better than my Berghaus Cornice hood but could do with some way of securing the hood when not in use. Can be zipped off though. The only real negatives are that the pockets are not waterproof and it can take a long time to dry when wet.

I know it's not the jacket you were after, but similar. I have worn it all winter, I am very happy with it and would definitely get another. Got mine from Uttings. Excellent price and service.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE