Rice storage

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Isnt freecycle wonderful?

A couple moving abroad gave me numberless handy bits and pieces including no less than 20kg rice.

This is in 5kg bags.

how best to store this?

Also in the deal were 2 2.5kg tins of butterbeans...and ideas as to what to do with these? my bean eatings limited to baked beans and kidney beans.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When I lived with a asian lady when I was a student she used to buy rice by the sackful. She kept it in clean rubbish bin that was bought for the purpose with a metal clips that kept the lid on tight to stop mice and insects getting in.

Beans; bean dip or try vegan cook books or websites they have some great tasty ways of cooking beans. butter beans are nice pre-cooked and then fried in pan with bacon I think, but vegans wouldn't think that:D .

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Think of butter beans as a potato sub and you cant go far wrong, wonderful with butter or olive oil and garlic!

Fot the rice its common to put things like cinammon sticks in as the bugs dont like the volatile oils. Keep it dry and cool and it will last for ages. Get yourself a small grain mill and make rice flour for pancakes etc, etc.

Sandsnakes

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Think of butter beans as a potato sub and you cant go far wrong, wonderful with butter or olive oil and garlic!

Fot the rice its common to put things like cinammon sticks in as the bugs dont like the volatile oils. Keep it dry and cool and it will last for ages. Get yourself a small grain mill and make rice flour for pancakes etc, etc.

Sandsnakes

Spot on Sandsnakes, BB's can substitute for spuds easy, they even mash well. They make a great pasta dish cooked in a good garlic and tom sauce and work very well in vegetable curry. Another one to try is a deep pan ommlette, olive oil and fresh garlic in the pan, fry for a minute add BB's and a few whisked eggs, bake in oven, serve hot or cold with salad and crispy bread

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE