Revive an old thread

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just wondering. Have you ever started a thread (or seen one) and thought "This will get an interesting discussion going, or generate some interest", only to find the thread died disappointingly quickly?

If so, this thread is for you.

Go find that thread, and revive it by posting in it. Maybe it just needs a second chance. Then post in here which thread you have revived, with a link to it so we can all join in.

Obviously, you can't revive locked threads, and for preference, the spirit of this idea is to revive a thread that didn't really get off the ground first time around. If it got to a second page of posts, it probably has had a fair go.

I wonder if this thread will get off the ground...?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Just wondering. Have you ever started a thread (or seen one) and thought "This will get an interesting discussion going, or generate some interest", only to find the thread died disappointingly quickly?.."

I do not think that it is necessarily important to get a discussion going, I often post links to articles or sites that I think may be of interest and they fade into obscurity fairly quickly. However I judge the usefulness of that original post by the number of views the thread has rather then replies or comments posted.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think the number of views is often more to do with how daft the title is.
17433.gif

I do think there is some value in occasionally bumping an interesting old thread though but the danger is that it becomes a regular habit with some people that comes close to Trolling.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Just wondering. Have you ever started a thread (or seen one) and thought "This will get an interesting discussion going, or generate some interest", only to find the thread died disappointingly quickly?

It's not the fading away so much as the loss of pics in tutorial and 'show and tell' type postings. I've just resurrected* ANDYLASER's 'Roma Oven' thread (link) because I'm actually after some information ~ it isn't just the pics that have vanished, it's all of the posts too :dunno:

* I say 'resurrected' but, in reality and after so long, we're actually talking threadcromancy :eek: .

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's not the fading away so much as the loss of pics in tutorial and 'show and tell' type postings. I've just resurrected* ANDYLASER's 'Roma Oven' thread (link) because I'm actually after some information ~ it isn't just the pics that have vanished, it's all of the posts too :dunno:

* I say 'resurrected' but, in reality and after so long, we're actually talking threadcromancy :eek: .

Yes that is a shame sometimes.

I host all my own pictures so they should always appear but it seems to be a particular problem when people use limited free hosting on things like Photobucket and the like.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
One of the first posts I created was on a thread which was a good few years old [I hadn't bothered to look at the dates on the top of each post] but the content was new to me then, so I joined in with what I thought of as a relevant reply.

@ Wayland - Trolling?? I'm realativly new to this termonology - why/ how is resurrecting old threads a trait of trolling?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Trolling?? I'm realativly new to this termonology - why/ how is resurrecting old threads a trait of trolling?

Trolling, on a forum, is purposeful and malicious stirring with the intent to annoy others.

Sometimes threads covering what can be described as 'conscientious issues' which contain heated discussions get reanimated for no apparent reason; this can be seen as trolling. And occasionally, an out of date poll or a long finished Group Buy thread gets resurrected with a request to join the list ~ and, due to the reanimation being 'Today' or Yesterday', it can take a while for others to realise that it's a resurrected thread which should have been left to go the way of Monty P's Blue Parrot.

Sometimes it's just better to start a new thread ;) :D .

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Trolling wasn't my intention at all. I just thought that it is inevitable, given the mass of threads on here, that now and then a thread doesn't get as wide a viewing as it might deserve. The suggestion is simply that if you think you know of such a thread, give it a bump. Nothing more,

Sometimes it is interesting to see how other people think about the forum, since they do things in different ways to how I might do it. Some people mainly ask questions, some post to share, some post to trade. I think the 'sharing information & experiences' posts are the ones I have in mind here, since they are more likely to be unique.

Anyway, always good to get other people's thoughts.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
One of the first posts I created was on a thread which was a good few years old [I hadn't bothered to look at the dates on the top of each post] but the content was new to me then, so I joined in with what I thought of as a relevant reply.

@ Wayland - Trolling?? I'm realativly new to this termonology - why/ how is resurrecting old threads a trait of trolling?

Nothing wrong with that at all.

I think Phil has pretty well covered the issue re. "Trolling" and when it happens it's usually pretty clear when it's being done mischievously.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Trolling wasn't my intention at all. >>><<<

Anyway, always good to get other people's thoughts.

Don't worry, that's not how this thread's coming across ~ and you're absolutely correct, how many threads are chanced upon in searches that make you think 'Others would like this' or 'This should be considered for stickying' only to be left to drift back into forum oblivion?

In some ways I wish there was a way to age mark a thread to make it more obvious that it's a resurrection
m1701.gif

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Forum search engines are not great but...if people just did a basic search and gave some time to the results they may well

a) Find what they are looking for

b) Learn something new anyway

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE