Review on Unsponsored Underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi guys,

Here's a short review of a custom down UQ from Unsponsored.

Length: 190 cm
Rating: 3/4 season.
Inner material: black Pertex 4
Outer material: green ripstop Pertex with breathable waterproof coating.
Filling: down 800 fill, all feathers removed manually. Weight to follow.
Suspension: shockcord running the length of the UQ. Channels on head- and foot side for extra schockcord for gathering the ends.
Extra's: 4 small loops sewn-in at each side to offset the UQ for asyymetrical hammock like Hennessy's.
Tab on each corner.
Weight incl. drybag: 1067 gr.
Packing size: stuffed into a 8 L drybag.
Freshly compressed = 25 x 19 x 17 cm
After half an hour = 29 x 19 x 19 cm (drybag lets in air)
See bottom pic of the blue drybag to get an idea.

Workmanship: perfect, very neatly done.
Especially since the first one sent cam back to Unsponsored looking like "it had been in a combine harvester", and he recollected all the down and made me a new one - in 1 day!

Tip: if you buy from anyone in Great Britain, pay extra for parcel services like UPS or DHL. British Royal Mail has been on strike etc. and is getting a bead rep with me. (Another package was ripped to pieces and returned to sender.)

Suspension and "hang": fits on both my TTTM and HH. Added my own suspension to the tabs that are sewn at each corner. Because of the weight it works very well with standard shock cord. Tightening 10 cm on the lengthwise cords lifts the sides up 10 cm immediately.

For asym hammocks there are extra loops sewn in at each side. I clip a small biner to the loops and hook it onto the HH tie-outs. Loops could have been a bit bigger to make clipping a biner on easier.

Loft: Shake well before suspending and rearrange the down if needed. Let it hang for half an hour: it will loft like a goose coming out of the tumble dryer. I kid you not.

Warmth: has kepth me nice and warm for 2 nights, and a little nap in the woods this afternoon without a sleeping bag. Will test it this winter, combined with a Alpkit Skyehigh 1000 which rates to -16C.

Price: very fair. Since I do not want to undermine anyone's pricing strategies I won't diclose the price, but let's say it's a LOT closer to a SnugPAK UQ then to a SnugFIT.

Seller: communication and service were good. Not a very chatty guy in PM's though :cool:

Conclusion: Excellent "no-frills" UQ for a very decent price. Can recommend this to anyone!

Thijs

Some pics:

Unsponsored Underquilt by Thijzzz, on Flickr

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good review Thijzzz

Very happy with mine although I'm just moving over to my Speer Snugfit now for the cooler months

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Down used was 800 fill. No feathers as my UQs are hand filled and any rogue feathers spotted are removed.

The black pertex for the inner was pertex 4. The outer was a green ripstop pertex with a breathable coating making this shell material waterproof.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Posted over on HF but I'll add here: What volume does the UQ pack down to? Presumably doesn't come with a stuff sack so I'll have to buy one (and get one for my tarp, sleeping bag and hammock while I'm at it probably eep!)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Posted over on HF but I'll add here: What volume does the UQ pack down to? Presumably doesn't come with a stuff sack so I'll have to buy one (and get one for my tarp, sleeping bag and hammock while I'm at it probably eep!)

I think mines a similar size to Thijzzz's, I use an XS (6/2L) sea-to-summit eVent compression bag. It squashes right down to the ends of the straps so it must be near 2L.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
Highbinder, your best bet is a an Exped small roll top dry bag (5L). Plenty of room to compress your UQ into without going mad. It will go in an XS (orange one), but will be tight.

web.jpg

Alpkit silnylon ones are also very good and cheap

web.jpg

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Well I had a wee play around with mine this afternoon. Got to say it's pretty spiffy! Got to ask though, whats the best way to set it up? I was using the cinched shockcords tied in a knot at the tip (to form in effect a big loop) which I hooked into the binesr at the ends of my hammock. Seems to hold in place well and once I'm in and laying down I just needed to reach over to pull the side over my shoulder. Or would it be better to use the tabs along the sides and run the ends up to the biners? Would that keep the sides 'up' better?

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
I attached 1 long piece of shockcord to the tabs. I made them adjustable at the tab side, and threaded a biner on the middle part.
Biner clips onto end of hammock, and the cord runs freely through it.
That way it will stay offset if used on an asymm hammock, provided you attach the side tabs.

I prefer suspending it from the tabs on the corners because it just hangs better and closer to my hammock.

You can see this in this picture:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE