Review of the Snugpak Scorpion 3 Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
Hi All

This is a short review of my Snugpak Scorpion 3 tent, I have owned it for a year or so, I bought it new for a tad over £200, I have used it mainly in the winter and autumn months, to be honest it hasn't seen heavy rain yet, but it has endured a few heavy showers,
Okay to start with its not a lightweight tent weighing in at just under 3kgs, but in my own personal opinion is worth the weight, it erects fly first, but I leave my inner attached so it is quick and easy to erect once you get to the campsite, I find it easy to erect if I am alone normally around 10 minutes, the stuffsack doesn't look too roomy, but I have never had a problem stashing it once I break camp.

it has a 5000mm HH fly and the groundsheet is the same 5000mm HH and when it has rained I have remained dry with no water ingress at all, I do use an old tarp underneath just to protect the groundsheet from damage, this tent has a fair bit of room inside the inner tent and will easily take 2 adults and a bit of kit, the porch area is a nice size and will take a lot of gear, it opens at the front of the vestibule and both sides both unzip, great for cooking in any weather and safe, the poles are DAC featherlight, there are 3 of them and they weigh nothing at all, it remains very stable in wind as long as you peg out the guy lines otherwise the porch area can be a bit flappy, but what tent isn't in high winds

the inner of this tent is what first attracted me to it because it is black inside, if you like brightly coloured inners this is not for you, however if you want a serene low light start to the day this is yer tent, I hate being woken from my sleep to a bright orange/yellow inner only to find that outside it is dreary, the inner has pockets running along both sides of the tent and they are great for stowing torches phones books etc, there is also a loop to hang a light from the top of the inner tent entrance(sadly lacking in most tents) the door is a double skin door with a mesh panel to keep the bugs out, its great laying there watching the world go by, I have experienced a fair bit of condensation with the tent, but I get this with any tent I have used because I am a warm sleeper, my only gripe with this tent is that the porch door doesn't open from the top as well as the bottom to provide air circulation

Breaking camp is just as easy as setting up you just roll it up slam it in its stuff sack and it is ready to use straight out of the bag, I love this tent and I consider it bomb proof, for the weight it is well worth the carry in winter months, for summer I use my terra nova which is a lot lighter or I hammock camp, thank you for reading the review folks

Kaizer

Last edited:

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Succinct review, I have the scorpion 2 and agree with everything you have said. Condensation is something I've experienced myself too but it's not a problem. I think it's a bombproof bit of kit.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
thanks for taking the time to read my review Willcurrie, I think it is a solid tent for the price mate, I love mine to bits ATB kaizer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE