Review: Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
This is rather long, but hopefully informative and useful... :)

Deer Stalking Certificate 1 (DSC-1) review

The DSC-1 course is one of a series run by the British Deer Society.
The training page of the BDS website (http://www.britishdeersociety.co.uk/default.asp) states:

To be awarded the Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, you must demonstrate knowledge and skills in the following areas:

• Deer biology and ecology - the life and reproductive cycles, habitat requirements and behaviour of the six species of wild deer.
• The law - the legal basis for the use of firearms and the culling of wild deer.
• Stalking techniques and taking the shot – a theoretical knowledge of the basis of stalking techniques, points of aim and the reaction of the deer to shot placement.
• Deer identification - an ability to identify the six species of deer normally found in the wild in the UK, being able to distinguish between the male and female of each species in both summer and winter pelage.
• Safety - an ability to safely handle firearms and other tools and equipment in a simulated stalking environment. This should include the use of knives and extraction equipment where appropriate.
• Shooting - an ability to shoot accurately and consistently in a simulated stalking environment.

I stalked years ago as a kid with my father, and when I attended the Hunter course a year or so ago this re-kindled my interest in this activity. I've shot vermin for several years now using a 12ft/lb air rifle (air arms s410) and have long wanted to get back to real management of all the species, including fox and deer.

The course was recommended to me (by Buckshot) as a good way of gaining some very necessary skills, and also in helping to obtain a Firearms certificate (FAC). It is not a requirement for stalkers to have the DSC-1 qualification, but it seems that it goes along way towards establishing credibility on an application for a new or renewed FAC, and is extremely useful if you plan to sell on your cull, now that it aslo covers the game handling regs…

The course was booked (and paid for) at the end of 2005; the manual arrived very promptly soon afterward, along with the Deerquest CD also ordered at the same time. This proved to be absolutely invaluable both for swotting up for the written test, and for help in identifying both deer species, and their diseases.

The actual course was the first two weekends of April, at Cirencester’s Royal College of Agriculture. Some locations provide the course over 4 consecutive days, some over two weekends.

Tea & coffee was provided throughout the day, and Cirencester had a snack machine and a restaurant, although you could bring your own food if you wished.

The course does not follow the manual slavishly – in fact at all, in some cases. This is deliberate as you can read the manual any time; the benefit of the on-site course is that the speakers are free to tailor their material according to the schedule at the time. Saturday for us was a series of talks on some of the sections in the manual including safety, equipment and techniques, deer law, rifle care & ballistics, and an introduction into some of the species.

As the roe buck season started the weekend of our course, we had our schedule re-arranged so that the ‘gralloching’ session could be done on the first Sunday morning. There was no opportunity for a late night drinking on Saturday, with an 8am start for evisceration and internal inspections! 3 hours and 2 carcasses later, when everyone had had the opportunity to get their hands dirty (or their latex gloves, anyway), we were back in the classroom for more study on more species, diseases, carcass handling, health & safety, firearms law, and rifle techniques.

Over these two days we probably had over a dozen different speakers, all experts in their field, including doctors, vets, gamekeeper, professional stalkers, lecturers, armourers and riflemakers. This, coupled with the vast experience and knowledge of the candidates themselves, many of whom had been stalking for years in various environments, or owned or managed estates of their own was by far the most valuable part of the course, and in my opinion means that the value of the on-site course is far greater than the distance learning package which is also available.

The week was then spent cramming for the upcoming tests, using both manual and CD.

The second Saturday covered the last of the deer species and a video was shown to also help with species and gender identification.

After lunch came the tests – a visual test of species & gender identification followed by the written test of 50 questions covering all the sections of the manual.

To round the day out, a briefing for the next day’s range tests was given.

Sunday then, was the range tests. Those who had an FAC and their own rifle brought their equipment with them; those without could borrow equipment from an attendant on the day, providing they held BDS membership. Only about a third of our group of 20 had their own rifles.

We were split into three groups, and in turn would be either off-range, on-range performing the zero-ing test, or performing the stalk/safety tests. I was in group 3, so I was off-range first, and could watch as some of the others were called either for their stalk/safety test, or to move onto the range for shooting.

When it came to my turn, I made it through the stalk/safety test with no real problems; then it was on to the first of the shooting tests – the zero-ing. Gareth was my attendant, and I borrowed his Sako .243. Not having much recent experience, I was guided through the handling of his rifle, and the body positions required for the test (prone, sitting/kneeling, and standing) along with the other equipment such as stalking sticks.

It was very relaxed, with no pressure brought to bear, and I had no trouble firing my three shots at the 4” target. Once everyone was done, we safety’ed our rifles and walked forward to the targets, waiting to be called up. I was shocked to find that there was just one hole in my target – right through the bull! Sadly, my shots were not so perfect that they’d gone through the same hole; my other two were on the next target over! Luckily, all the shots were in a good group in the target, so we were both passed and could move on to the next test. (phew!)

The second shooting test was at a roe target. 2 shots prone from 100m, 2 shots sitting or kneeling from 70m, and 2 shots standing (freehand or with sticks) from 40m. Safety was the key, and again there was no pressure. No-one moved off until everyone had fired their 2 shots at that position, then everyone moved forward to the next position. Each shooter had an attendant to carry their ammunition and sticks. I had no idea where my shots were going from the first two positions; I couldn’t see the holes in the target until I got up to the 40m mark and sighted in for the final two shots. I was just concentrating on making sure I hit my own target! Hitting someone else’s could mean that we’d both have to re-take the test… Still, when I got to 40m, I sighted in, and sure enough, I cold spot a few holes roughly where I wanted them to be, about halfway up the body, in a line with the back of the front leg. I took my time and fired my last two shots. When we were called forward and I got to see my target close up I was very pleased to see a good grouping of all six shots within the centre two circles of the ‘kill’ zone – and as it turned out, this was to be the best grouping of the day!

Those who had not quite made their shots in the kill zone had two further opportunities to fine-tune their technique (and rifle!); one chap ended up borrowing a rifle to get his shots in – but at least he knew he could place the shots, and he just needed to have his rifle checked (or buy a new one)…

On the day, everyone passed!

I would heartily recommend this course to anyone either considering taking up stalking, or having stalked for some years – many of the experienced stalkers learned a few very valuable lessons during our course. It certainly seems to help when applying for an FAC, and now that the game regs are also covered by this course, is also useful for anyone planning on selling on their cull.

The other courses in this series are:

Deer Stalking Certificate 2 – goes on from DSC-1; the candidate must have between one and three culls observed by the assessor and must maintain a set of performance criteria (stalk, cull, transport/store, prepare/inspect). The aim is the ‘prove that a candidate can put into practical effect in the field the technical knowledge that was tested at Level 1’.

Deer Management Course – the financial management side of keeping deer on an estate or park.

ODG

Reactions: george

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Very interesting post. I've certainly never seen the subject treated in this way. Over here, you learn this kind of stuff from your grandfather, and if your grandfather doesn't hunt - you probably don't learn it.

PG, NE Minnesota

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Very interesting and informative dammit something else to spend the hard earneds on. I seem to find a reason to open my wallet pretty much every time i log on here ;)

However something that I was thinking about was how much experience I would need with a ryfell(sic) before the course ? Would you recomend it to someone with very little experience with bang sticks or is that also covered in the course?

Thanks for the review, looks like youve inspired a few of us.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Some police forces insist on passing DSC1 before granting a certificate to buy a ryfell (nice use of spelling to avoid filters etc maverix ;) ) whether that's legal is another matter and not one I think we should go into here (poss too political)
So in answer to your question - yes it is covered in the course and you don't need to be an expert before you go.

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE