Reversible Garments Royal Marine issue?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hi!
Someone mentioned how they thought about designing a reversible jacket/smock with one colour one side the other a different colour.
Question,
I read once where the Royal Marines had a hooded nylon jacket and trousers, olive drab on one side and Arctic white on the other. Has anyone worn these or do you have a link to them? What are they called? I was just wondering how the design features worked out and what the material was used. Heavy to wear?
Also recall seeing a long time ago WWII era a reversible cotton smock was issued to troops in Norway. Any info on this?

Am interested in the design features and how they designed these garments if I do a DIY project.
Monk

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Thats as a waterproof I believe designed for northern troops but with the green for use in warmer southern areas or when below tree line.

The USAF flight jackets are similar - greem on the outside and bright orange inside - idea being that downed pilots turn them inside out to aid search and rescue teams.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i have come across one set years ago in a surplus shop.

i agree with gary,
i think it may have been on issue as a foul weather garment, prehaps more for temperate climates.

there are one or two photos of them in use during the falkland conflict which i guess is the ideal climate.

the one i saw was heavy PVC coated nylon green nylon one side white the other so like a sandwich. i remember the seam glues had gone an orange colour. it was completely reversable!

the fabric itself was very stiff and noisey not a good choise for close combat! ideal for distance work though!

also note it's before the dawn of Goretex being popular so you would sweat alot in the outfit, not ideal in arctic conditions!

a sturdy jacket, but heavy, bulky,non breathable, and noisey!

there are better jackets out there nowerdays! :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE