Revenant Ultimate bush craft movie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Apparently my wife wants to see this which is very strange :confused: given subject matter is the antithesis of what floats her boat. However, it's been made very clear I will not be wearing my Bison Bushcraft Guide Shirt or Russell Moccasins!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Apparently my wife wants to see this which is very strange :confused: given subject matter is the antithesis of what floats her boat. However, it's been made very clear I will not be wearing my Bison Bushcraft Guide Shirt or Russell Moccasins!

Tell her that's not fair! If folk get to dress up as Stormtroopers to go and see Star Wars then surely your shirt & moccasins are goers? :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

Its winter so I have a bushier beard than Leonardo has in the film and I did wear my Bison Guide shirt to see it. :)

It really is a gorgeous bit of cinema but your wife should be warned, it is quite brutal in a few places.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I'm probably going to get more of a kick from people watching than the film!

Perhaps I'll try and sneak my Heroes of Telemark look past her now I have my Bergans smock and Sami knife with cool dangler sheath.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Umm.. Well, we've got tickets to see it Tuesday Eve. Looking forward to it. Not really a film buff, or mad for 'em. This one looks well put together, and would seem to be a good cinematic experience. The last Film a see at the Flicks was Rush, and it didn't disappoint.

I'm more intrigued to see Hardy's performance, than Di Caprio's... I'm reckoning the the presence of both of them in the Film could be for Good viewing.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
On an associated note:

This Friday at 11pm on National Geographic - A World Unseen.

"Actor Leonardo DiCaprio contributes to this eye-opening documentary examining the history of mountain men in 19th century America"

Apparently liberal artistic license was exercised in making this film - FE wintery weather throughout the film conflicts with the report that Hugh Glass survived his 6 week ordeal by eating mostly roots and berries - unless there are berries available in winter that I'm not aware of. And I'm pretty sure that mere humans would have died several times over just from exposure. Nonetheless, don't miss it in the theaters. It's almost worth seeing for the scenery.

Edit - just looked it up, and the historical events of the opening scene happened in May so not Winter.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I have not seen the film (but don’t know anyone that has seen it that says they did not enjoy it) I did read the book a couple of years ago and remember at the time doing a bit of follow up on it and on the writer Michael Punke who freely admitted he had taken quite a few liberties with it and said that for such a ‘famous’ event there was actually very little ‘known to be genuine’ information around to work from, even the names of the other two were actually in doubt with the Jim Bridger name originally being a James Bridges in the so called official record of the time. Punke implied at the time that he had been asked to ‘be very careful’ how he portrayed Jim Bridger who is considered a national hero in many parts of the USA with Towns, Bridges, Schools and various parks etc names after him. I think it sounds like it’s a good and entertaining film and maybe should be taken just as that.

D.B.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I saw it too, I was quite amazed with how determined they all seemed to get and stay as wet as possible. There always seemed to be someone fully clothed waist deep in water or tramping through without so much as taking their boots off to wring their socks out. Most reckless! Also how in the second sequence they were walking through what was quite clearly a forestry plantation.

Other than that absurd pedantry it was a great film!

I agree!, Also lots of other artistic license with the not-getting-hypothermia-part. Laying up immobile on the snow, in wet clothes. Or crawling over snow in same wet clothes for what seemed like days.
Still enjoyed it immensely though. Only part that really didn't sit well with me, was the snow-storm part, where his companion builds a small hut. In the first shots when the cgi wind was howling, the saplings/young trees around them were absolutely still. Didn't sit right, especially since the rest of the film was so filled with attention to minute details in nature. I second the remark about the thawing snow on the horse.

Watched it last night, curled up in my sleeping bag, with firs and a cold starry sky above and the frost falling. My first time watching a feature length film like that, but I have to say the story was well suited. A lot of the time, sounds from the movie would convince me they came from my actual surroundings, and not from my headphones. Like the sound of wind picking up, or twigs snapping. don't get me started on the bear :)
Really added to the overall feeling (and adrenaline levels), so it took some star gazing to allow me to calm down and fall asleep after, which is uncommon for me.

I'd give full points to the movie at any screening though. It doesn't get better than that as far as experiencing something while watching it. Too bad it has to end. I have to say though, it was one of those films that sort of fades away quickly.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I saw it on Tuesday and I have to admit that I really enjoyed it. Bushcrafty elements aside, I found it to be a grueling, visceral piece of steadily-paced story telling in which the viewer shares all of Glass's trials and tribulations. The fact that Leonardo di Caprio can convey so much with so few words is testament to his prowess as an actor. As a film made without any artificial lighting, the flat, chilly, natural light only added to the brooding sense of hostility but also to the extraordinary beauty of some of the shots.

I was troubled by the seemingly endless trailing through water. As we all know, if you manage to stay dry, you stay warm(er) - something that Glass and his companions seemed to want to ignore. But - what the hell: it is a beautifully crafted, exhausting but cleverly paced film; it'll be interesting to see if it garners any of the awards for which it has been nominated.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
See it. Entertaining it was. The only problems for me was the the bleeding volume in the Cinema at times done my head in, and we were perhaps sat a tad too close.. I couldn't just look at the Screen and take it all in, I had to move my head and scan my eyes over the screen to to take the scenes all in.

The one thing that impressed me, and I wanted one immediately was the big Fur Coat Hugh Glass was wearing in the last scenes when he went after Fitzgerald. Some bit of kit that.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Reminder (and for those who haven't seen it) - on tonight

On an associated note:

This Friday at 11pm on National Geographic - A World Unseen.

"Actor Leonardo DiCaprio contributes to this eye-opening documentary examining the history of mountain men in 19th century America"

Darwen

Jan 20, 2016
Lancs
I really enjoyed the film for what it was. I thought the photography, scenery, philosophy around only using natural light, and the acting were fantastic. Could it have been more realistic? Yes, but it has brought a relatively unknown story (at least in the UK) to the mainstream, and hopefully opened a very interesting chapter of history for many people.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Visually excellent, Leonardo de Caprio acting excellent, atmosphere and special effect excellent. Superb cinematography. Story line and screenplay poor; incoherent and poorly constructed. What a shame they didn't use the original Hugh Glass story. I noticed the credit "from the novel by..." can't remember the name, but have no interest in reading it. Wasted opportunity.

I did enjoy it though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE