Retro Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Retro-Weekend-Camp.jpg

Got back yesterday afternoon from the Retro Outdoor Equipment Camp weekend. Nice little event, met some great people, some of which have since joined the Steam Tent Co-operative.

Retro-Weekend-I.jpg

I pitched a much more compact camp than I normally do at the Steam Tent events but still enough to fly the flag, turn some heads and show what is possible just with a couple of tarps.

Retro-Weekend-II.jpg

Ordered a lovely Baker Tent from Steven Henley which I hope to have for events from July onwards. Should be great for smaller camps like this where I don't want to take all and sundry.

Retro-Weekend-IV.jpg

Picked up a few other nice bits and pieces from the traders there as well.

Retro-Weekend-III.jpg

Retro-Weekend-V.jpg

Retro-Weekend-VI.jpg

Retro-Weekend-VII.jpg

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
always enjoy your pictures

but I'm wondering how you get all that stuff to the site

zeppelin? :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A truly excellent display Gary goodjob

You certainly turned more than a few heads with your display judging by all the comments over on the ROE group :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Umm...... what rucksack is that you got there......

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Canvas_Crusader-2.jpg

It started off life as a Berghaus Crusader made from canvas. ( Not very common. )

Waylands_Bergan-1.jpg

Since then I've leathered it up a bit and made some canvas rocket pouches to match and an extra pouch for my frying pan.
Like the leather framing of the patches.

K

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
OK, so I've wanted a Bergie ever since I saw one. Trouble is, I'd fill that sucka with everything it would hold and then I couldn't carry it. (Loved that movie: sneak a cinder block into buddy's pack. )
Can one ever buy a Bergie and still have the self-control to not pack twice one's body weight into it?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
A lot depends on the density of the gear you pack.

Soft kit is bulky but relatively light but if you fill it with hardware you will need a forklift to move it.

I have a Granite Gear Portage Pack, I think the capacity is about 120L. It's only for walking short distances, and usually with ski clothing and bedding, not for long distance of camping. A sleeping back, thermal undies, Thermaloft and Thinsulate gloves and mittens, ski and snowboard trousers and jackets quickly fills up 120L without weighing a tonne.

When I was a student, I moved digs (about a mile away) making maybe three or four trips on foot with a 100L rucksack... a mix of clothing, cookware and lots and lots of books is VERY heavy.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Lovely stuff Gary goodjob

I think we're going to have to have an official Steam Tent corner at the Moot, they've been in there clearing areas so there would be plenty of space for a group, so if anyone's interested it can happen.

I love the colours, the neatness and the creativity. Do you get many big families going down this route? I wonder if I can convert mine :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's still in it's infancy at the moment , mostly couples and singles and mostly members from here. Some are regulars at the Moot already, doing their own things like Steve from Dingly Dell, Roy and Debbie from Tarp City.

Steam-Tent-Co-operative-at-Bushmoot-2018.jpg

Space is a factor, I was a bit tightly squeezed in last year as you might remember but I enjoyed the proximity and access with vehicles is important too.

I won't be able to make it this year, doing WOMAD instead, but I am intending to be there again in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: TinkyPete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE