Retro Berghaus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Very high, I don't pay more than £20 for a pair......

40245561324_46fc8a3e58_c.jpg

Reactions: GordonM

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
the mystery Berghaus sac might be the Extrem Guide - i've got one in red. the only other Extrem sac i recall from the mid-90's was the Expedition, its about 80ltrs.

@MartinK9 - your blue Munro, do you know if it was once something Berghaus did as just a standard part of the range, or was was it a special they did for someone/some organisation?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
the mystery Berghaus sac might be the Extrem Guide - i've got one in red. the only other Extrem sac i recall from the mid-90's was the Expedition, its about 80ltrs.

@MartinK9 - your blue Munro, do you know if it was once something Berghaus did as just a standard part of the range, or was was it a special they did for someone/some organisation?

I've ever seen another.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If I surch for green rucksacks at the official web side I can't find them.

Did they stop to sell them, or what is going on?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What classes as retro berghaus? Would my yellow and blue alpine extrem sack from the 90s count? Bought to go lightweight backpacking in but ran out of money after buying it so never got the other lightweight kit to go with it.

I claim I was ahead of mainstream outdoors fashion in getting it though. Now modern lightweight sacks like lightwave and osprey are being produced as single compartment, light rucksacks but they're still heavier and not as comfortable as this one. Seriously, I carried 28 kg in it once and still scrambled up and down some difficult Lakeland routes wearing it.

Discovered it helped me continue backpacking with a bad back in the middle of one 12 day, self supported trip. Transferred weight to my hips and cinched right in with the hip belt straps it supported my back. Just washed it last night and it has come up fresh and like it's only 10 years old!

If anyone knows where I can get any promotional images of this sack Of appreciate it. It's the one with 50 litres +15 litre expansion iirc but could be +10 litres.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
If I surch for green rucksacks at the official web side I can't find them.

Did they stop to sell them, or what is going on?

For some reason they don't have them on the homepage but they have released a lot of upgrades/new sidepockets the last 3 to 4 years. They even made a new Spartan (yes!) and a replacement for the monroe with zips.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
That Mustang is a really nice pack Martin. My all time favourite pack is the Cyclops Roc, I wish Berghaus would bring out an updated version though! I’ve actually started using a multi coloured Cyclops Guide for the hills which is pretty similar to the Roc but with the Cyclops 2 back system. I'm not a fan of most modern packs, too many straps buckles and webbing attachments! Would love to see some more pics of the Mustang if possible.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
image1118.jpg

The top one. Doesn't look much but seriously good sack. The two alloy staves can be formed to your back shape. I did that my walking for two days with 28kg load in it. Before that it was actually a bit uncomfortable.

These staves are fixed at a pivot point near the top and form a kind of shaped X shape The pivot allows for flex with your walk I think. It certainly seems to move with you rather than being completely stiff. It does transfer weight straight to your hips in a way I've never experienced in any other sack.

The other plus is the sideways V shape to the straps that link the hip belt and the back. The open part of the V is towards the back. This means the top part of the V pulls in higher up the back. The strap pulls tight on the other end. So fixed higher up through an open loop on the hip belt then back to the back with an adjustable webbing buckle that you pull forwards. It just works so well. I have no doubt I could climb with a bit of a load. I've certainly scrambled wearing it with 18kg load without any more difficulty than a light day pack load.

The hip belt is vertically very stiff. This load transfer. As I said I carried 28kg load in it and the sack was comfortable but the load weight I felt as I would on any sack. That load weight is high enough to know you're carrying it for sure.

The way I look at it this sack is like the crux ak 47 in many ways but with more volume due to its realistic 10 litres expansion. Makes it a good 60 litres not the stated 50 litres + 10 litres if you know what I mean. It's a simple, single chamber sack like the ak47 but it's lighter. Ahead of its time I reckon.

Sorry for my rambling about the best rucksack I've ever used. Colours date it I reckon. Very 1990s. Interestingly I saw a video of someone wearing what looked like the same sack. It was a guy filming the sledge his company sells. It's a campervan boot jump kit manufacturer (that's a campervan conversion system that allows you to remove the camping bit too use the van as a van during the week). Who makes a sledge that comes apart and is put together for use very easily.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
That's it last one honest......

Berghaus AB 70 GT with side pockets:

40263629663_a72ac82641_c.jpg

Next to the Scorpion:

32286534007_1bda7ca76d_c.jpg

Next to the Munros:

40263585843_7f15ac56a2_c.jpg

Still after a set of light blue side pouches for the Munro on the right though. :D

Reactions: GordonM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE