Resource on river safety

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...I am discovering this new interest in river trekking. I recently visited a river (not really big- about 5 meters across) with rocks and rapids and really enjoyed walking on it.

I know the dangers of rivers (flash floods, twisted ankles etc) but I was wondering if there is a resource online that offers a more comprehensive guide on this.

Or maybe we can all offer some TIPs?

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
common sense really. if it has been raining heavily dont wander around in rivers. if the bottom is muddy or sandy dont go in it because chances are you will sink into the mud as far as you sink into the water. dont go near large patches of weeds. avoid walking through reed beds, you will most likely get covered in leeches and bitten in painful places by nesting swans and geese. remember, the water runs much faster under the surface, so if it looks fairly fast on the surface and is more than 3ft deep dont go in, it will knock you over. dont walk on slippery rocks in fast flowing water, you will fall over and it will knock you out and you will drown unless someone pulls you out quickly, i know this one from personal experience.
also avoid nest sites of pike, the females are the ones that get big and territorial and have lots of big teeth. i know this from seeing a swan going over to where a pike, pushing the 40lb mark was nesting, it thought it would get an easy meal of fry, so over it goes, out shoots this pike and the next thing you know the swan had gone under, and came back up flying and swearing very loudly in swan language! flew off wonkey and i didnt see it again. so avoid them.
im sure there is a lot of other "things not to do" but really the only time you should go across a river by foot or car is when its under 3' depth, clear so you can see what your standing on, solid gravel bottom, free of murderous mother fish, no tangly weed bits and it isnt currently raining or has been a lot in the last few days.

Hi Bandel4,
I do a lot of canoeing which can involve wading in shallows and rapids. I think one of the biggest hazards in moving water is foot entrapment. This is where your foot gets caught between rocks and the power of the flow prevents you from escaping. - this can happen in knee deep flowing water and if the person loses balance they can easily drown.

To increase safety when wading it is usually recommended to face upstream and use a stick for support.

If wading with a group, if the heaviest person cannot wade on their own it will probably be too risky for the others - even if supporting each other by wading in a line or a three person 'tripod'.

Perhaps another piece of advice is about where to place your feet. In rapids made up from small rocks, placing your feet on the downstream side of rocks is significantly safer than placing them on the upstream side as your foot will be protected from the flow here.

Entrapments can happen really quickly - I witnessed one recently (although the water was deeper - a kayaker came out of their boat and became snagged on a rock by their clothing. I posted a video of it here.
Very best regards,
Kim

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Hi Bandel4,
I do a lot of canoeing which can involve wading in shallows and rapids. I think one of the biggest hazards in moving water is foot entrapment. This is where your foot gets caught between rocks and the power of the flow prevents you from escaping. - this can happen in knee deep flowing water and if the person loses balance they can easily drown.

To increase safety when wading it is usually recommended to face upstream and use a stick for support.

If wading with a group, if the heaviest person cannot wade on their own it will probably be too risky for the others - even if supporting each other by wading in a line or a three person 'tripod'.

Perhaps another piece of advice is about where to place your feet. In rapids made up from small rocks, placing your feet on the downstream side of rocks is significantly safer than placing them on the upstream side as your foot will be protected from the flow here.

Entrapments can happen really quickly - I witnessed one recently (although the water was deeper - a kayaker came out of their boat and became snagged on a rock by their clothing. I posted a video of it here.
Very best regards,
Kim

Brilliant advice there goodjob

Welcome to the forum Kim

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Check out...

http://www.riversafe.org.nz/facts/rivercrossing.shtml

This has some good information. NZ Bush 'rivers' are in many ways similar to what I encountered in Malaysia. From my experience River Safety practice and technique in the UK is a lot different to NZ. Which is not surprising as the waterways here are a lot different to the UK. Malaysia will be different again.

I've got some more resource in printed format if you would like a copy drop me a PM.

Cheers

John

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi guys...wow...many thanks for all the info provided.

I would like to gather some of these info not only for myself but also to share it with some friends. Just 3 days ago there was a fatal drowning accident at one of the waterfalls here in Malaysia. The typical person A jumping in to help drowning B, only to have B eventually alive and A drowning and found some 40 hours later.

Kim...many thanks for that video. Good stuff.
John...PM inbound

Regards,
KEONG

Dec 26, 2009
south wales
I'm a keen fly fisherman and spend a lot of time wading in rivers,wich is part of the magic of the sport, nothing makes u feel closer to your surrounding than being in them, but i would say a lifejacket and a wading staff is must even for quite small rivers. i use a fly fishing waistcoat/lifejacket combo and its saved my life once or twice, dont underestimate the power of water even quite small rivers can have a good head of water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE