Rescued three times!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
stevec said:
i feel that a "voluntary contribution" to the MRT's funds would be in order
sc

Nice idea, but with self centred idiots like this, they would stare blankly at the word 'voluntary'.

Fine him, a large amount and spread the money to the right places. As with some of the people I have worked with today - tolerance and understanding are all too often seen as a weakness and exploited.

GRRR Sorry :red:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Good grief :eek:

It's a fine line isn't it? do you fine people for wasting time like this muppet and run the risk of stopping people ringing for fear of being fined for time wasting.

I personally think that yes in this case if the opinion of the mountain rescue team is that this man has needlessly placed his life in peril or has not been prepared enough for the conditions then yes he should be fined......the cost of the helicopters flight time should be enough!!!!but where do you draw the line?

The day i did Ben Nevis the helicopter's landing pad was rediverted to a field in Glen Nevis as they were hauling so many people off the mountain it cut down the flight time. Most of it was down to bad preparation and no idea of what they were letting themselves in for.
The main "injury's" of the day were:

Twisted ankles (in flip flops)
Exhaustion (just thought it was a bimble up a hill)
Dehydration (brought 1x 500ml bottle of mineral water with them)
Sunstroke (Red hot day, not a cloud in the sky, no hat or long sleeves)

But as is the norm with these marvelous people they just got on with it without a complain or a grumble.

A big thank you to the people who dedicate their lives to mountain (and fell/cave) rescue. It is always nice to know you have our backs :)

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
It's a fine line isn't it?

It's one of the reason's why the RNLI don't want to charge people for calling them out when they are not really needed. You may save a couple of grand, but there will always be one person who doesn't call when they really should and ends up dead.

this person is obviously a fool, if the police were any help they should have had a `couple of quiet words` and advise him not to venture up there again..

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I think in every case they should be rescued - regardless of how stupid they've been. However, repeat or subsequent rescues should have a penalty attached. I wouldn't set fines as this could lead to not only people not calling when they should, but could lead to a chargable service.

Instead I'd force them to do some community service (repeat offenders only of course). I'd make them clean the bog pans at the mountain rescue headquarters, with a toothbrush, the morning after the rescuers had a curry supper. I'd also make sure they understood exactly why they were being made to do it.

If they did it again after that, surgicaly fuse their knee joints so they could only walk on flat ground!

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE