Request for Advice: Hammock cord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rigel

Aug 6, 2010
maidenhead
hey folks,

I want to replace my hammock straps, the ones that feed through a channel at each end with some thinner/lighter stuff.
Would some paracord do the trick or are there any better solutions ?

Thanks!
Greg

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Please don't use paracord. They may hold you but they will certainly stretch! I'd suggest you buy some amsteel and have a bit of fun one evening making continuous loops for the channels (and whoopie slings).

Rigel

Aug 6, 2010
maidenhead
Hey thanks pips. Will get some Dyneema D12 and go from there. Plenty of vids on youtube on how to make whoopieslings.
So glad i asked!
Cheers!

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
No harm in using paracord at all, whilst it may stretch a little (depending on your weight) it's minimal. These are the best pics I have of my set up. Hope they help! Ignore the chain on pic 1.

dsc02276cy.jpg
dsc02367e.jpg
dsc02300ao.jpg

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I agree, para cord will be fine. I had "quite a lot" and replaced all the cord on an old hammock, the main cord I used double. It stretched a small amount after about a week, but I'm quite a heavy guy.

I'm still learning though and will look out for strong none stretch stuff myself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You'd have to pay me to lie in that hammock!

Its your choice obviously, but paracord isn't strong enough at all for most people in hammocks. Its only 550lb rated; tie some knots in it and add some wear and its potentially down to 200lb odd! I've snapped 400kg rated stuff, paracord has no chance. Unless your especially light, its going to fail. Its like swinging an axe with a cracked shaft-is it worth it?

There's countless stories on Hammock Forums about people who ignored the advice on cordage. They used paracord and it snapped after a time, sometimes with hospitalisation.

My advice FWIW, make sure you don't hang high, move any rocks or sharp stuff from under you and pray the laws of physics desert your suspension-at least double it up.

Paracord's not much cheaper than Dyneema braid, stretches lots, weighs much more, soaks up water and simply isn't strong enough.

Just my 2p on it :)

Last edited:

Rigel

Aug 6, 2010
maidenhead
Thanks for uploading those photos. Will give that a try too. I did wonder if paracord would snap or stretch too much but could be ok from those pics.

cheers!

Rigel

Aug 6, 2010
maidenhead
Hey Teepee, Have just read your last post. Those points certainly raise a concern and for the sake of a few quid, I will play it safe.

Thanks sxmolloy for the pics though.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
550lb is approx 39 stone. :Wow: Tie knots and double the cord if you want. Whilst as I understand it the breaking strain when using a hammock isn't straight forward due to different amounts of strain being placed on different points of the cord doubling up should be hunky dory.
On a seperate note I'd never hang a hammock over rocks or pointy things to start with. Even with steel chain.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I agree, 39 stone breaking strain seems plenty. The problem is the knots, wear, UV damage and the angle at which the hammocks hung from.

Knots can derate the line by 60%, that brings the paracord down to 200lb odd. Take off some wear and UV damage to boot and it can be much lower. All it needs is a small stone to work inside the kernmantle, a small unseen nick, a heavy sit down in the hammock and 'Twang, thump'

The commonly accepted formula for working out the required BS for ropes and cords is 4-5 times the maximum working load, not accounting for knots. Paracord has a factor of just 1-2 in your setup as its hung.

At 30 degrees, the force exerted on each end of the suspension is equal to bodyweight. At 10 degrees, its 5 times bodyweight.

Somebody reading your advice, could well tie their hammock up for the first time too tight, sit in it and really hurt themselves. There is a good reason reputable hammock makers don't sell thier hammocks with single paracord suspension-they'd get sued and righlty so.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Also worth mentioning that most the stuff out there isn't 550lb paracord and only copies.

Then there is the matter of it soaking up water, has it been stood on (weakening it), has it been anywhere near alcohol, bug repellent etc etc.

A quick search of "hammock paracord fail" bought up many many examples.

If your on a beach with soft sand under you then it might be worth the risk.
On a wild camp with roots and rocks under your hammock it's a big risk.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Here's a graph I threw together which should hopefully explain things

hammockload.png

Basically says for a 15 stone guy, at 10° you're exerting a force of 45 stone on each end! That's nearly 570lbs. Would you trust that weight on something rated to 550lbs?

Even at the recommended 30° you're exerting 220lbs on each end. That's a safety factor of just over 2, if you could magically not tie any knots/splices. Paracord ain't the way forward...

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
I've just replaced the heavy cord on my hennessy expedition asym with whoopie slings, simple enough procedure (there are YT vids) and it's saved a large amount of bulk and weight. +1 for Ukhammocks kit (no affiliations, blah,blah) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE