Request for Advice: Hammock cord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Agreed,

Ditch Hammock
Buy kip mat
Sleep on ground...

Never worry about underquilts, the lack of trees or the breaking strain of your kevlar cord again...

Agreed, just worry about the uneven pitch, the rocky ground, the sloping bank, the bog, the ticks etc etc :)

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Hmmmm, certainly given me food for thought in some of the posts. Still regardless of what you use NEVER put a hammock over rocks. It goes without saying that everthing on my hammock, including climbing rated krabs gets checked at each pitch and de-pitch. Water being soaked up by the paracord has never been a problem due to drip rings or zip ties. I only buy genuine 550 paracord from reputable suppliers.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
2sxmalloy - even genuine paracord is nowhere near strong enough to be used as hammock suspension. Look at the graph shown below. Those are static strains. Every time you wriggle, the strain will double or quadruple. Dyneema/Spectra/Amsteel is not that much more expensive and far far better than a lifetime in a wheelchair.
The set upyou show in your photographs is excellent and it shows great attention to detail, but it uses the wrong materials and is dangerous.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
It's sxmOlloy (sorry, but that really p155E5 me off). As I said in my last post it's given me food for thought so I will be reviewing my setup. Thus far I have had no slip ups and the genuine 550 paracord has held up fine, but I'll look again and have taken into account the graph shown ABOVE :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I wonder who started the obsession with paracord - was it Lofty Wiseman, I wonder?

For simple lashing there is cheaper, stronger stuff out there (polypropylene). There's less stretchy stuff too (starter cord). I'm guessing that a paratrooper would have a ready supply so that's what they tended to use but the fact that it shrinks when wet & stretches too doesn't make it ideal in many of the situations we all use it for

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE