Reproofing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Having tried to wash and proof a double ventile coat from Country Innovations unsuccessfully, I contacted them and they don't do it and can't recommend anyone.
Can any of you help with this one? please?
preferably in the manchester area, (the supplier, not you)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
As far as I know, you don't proof or reproof Ventile at all. The way Ventile works is the tight Oxford weave when damp or wet starts to swell and forms a seal thus preventing water coming in. If you apply any sort of proofing agent to the material you will preventing it from acting the way it should making it a lot less breathable and water resistant. Note that Ventile isn't waterproof, it's water resistant - it will shed water very well in most conditions but will eventually leak.

Nag.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Yes, that's why I bought it (from that principle).
But when I first got it, rain used to bead on the surface and the shake off quite easily. Yesterday, walking home in the rain, patches of it did and most of it didn't. When I got home, my shoulders and back were WET, not just wet.
So, should I just wash it again, or get it reproofed ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Snugpak mentioned nto me that Grangers wash and proofing stuff works quite well.
Isounds like your jacket satill had some detergent residue in the fabric.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Yes, that's why I bought it (from that principle).
But when I first got it, rain used to bead on the surface and the shake off quite easily. Yesterday, walking home in the rain, patches of it did and most of it didn't. When I got home, my shoulders and back were WET, not just wet.
So, should I just wash it again, or get it reproofed ?

I wash mine in Nikwax. The original finish is long gone but I don't get wet even in torrential rain.

As has been said, if you use detergent, or much worse, fabric conditioner, rain will just percolate through as the fibres won't swell.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've never washed any over jacket i've owned.

If they get particularly mucky I let it dry and brush off.

Tom. (mucky pup).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ventile is great for windy cold conditions like the Arctic/Antarctic, but not great for heavy UK rain, they are not really designed for those conditions. I've had Ventile when a lad and while better than my old army kit, I still got wet up in the hills, waterproofed nylon when it came out in the 60's was a massive improvement even with condensation moisture from your body.

Don't look on Ventile as a wonder fabric, its not, it is a very good wind jacket which will stand up to showers of rain, not much good for prolonged use in exposed wet weather especially on the open hills, for that your better off with Gortex/eVent/wax jacket

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE