Reproofing a Tarp...?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I'm getting the odd drop of water seeping through the tarp I've used fairly extensively for a year or so...
No biggy as its done a fantastic job but could do with some routine maintenance I guess!

Anyone used a proofing agent with long term success? I know there's a whole array of stuff out there, so could do with a pointer :)

Cheers, al.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I used some NikWax on an old tarp of mine some three years back. I sprayed it on the back patio. It was so effective, the rain beaded up on the exposed slabs that got sprayed until just recently, and they are still a different colour. The tarp is fine, even though it was given away to the kids and used outside for weeks non stop for camps.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Forgot to say...
Its just a laminated DD 3x3, so I'm assuming the PU coated polyester might be wearing with age. I scrunch it rather than fold to prevent wear in the same places but its had its money's worth of use!

Thanks for the advice chaps!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thought as much... I'll probably get a fair bit of life out of it yet. I'll have a good look at the coating in the morning. The weather was pretty dire on its last outing and there was just the odd drop here and there.

I do fancy something silnylon soon, so I'll keep the DD for a group shelter for meets! An ideal excuse for some new kit LoL :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE