replacing down filling of sleeping bag with synthetic stuffs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
Has anyone ever done the above? I've found that my breathing gets cream crackered if I use the down filled bag (which is bloody annouying as I only just bought it, its not new mind, a US 1949 pattern mountain bag but probably made in the 60s).

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
You'd probably be better off selling the bag on as is and getting a synthetic one instead.

The construction of down and syth. bags are quite different and at best it would be a difficult job to remove all the allergens.

Got to agree.

Brings back memories, one of those was my first warm sleeping bag, purchased with the earnings from my paper round! It was a big step up from the rectangular caravan type that I had before, heavy bag but it was very warm.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
IIRC the bag you have is not down but feather and down, and given its age it's probable that some of the feather filling is breaking down and it is the dust you are reacting to. Why not try a new or newer down bag ( ie not feather and down) to see if you have any reaction?

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
Tar for the replies, I've got a few synthetic ones but like the look/material of this mummy bag, was thinking of emptying it, washing it like bu££ery then filling with that white spongy fibre stuff (if I can find any). I was issued yee old 58 pat sleeping bag and never had a problem but was that just a down filling and not a mix?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE