Replace my bike helmet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
So I know there are lots of opinions on when to replace bicycle helmets, some say 3 years, some say never, but usually the advice is pretty solid if you've had an accident.

I cycle to university every day, and my helmet is now about a year and a half old. It hangs from my rucksack during the day and takes a few light nocks and scratches, but nothing more.
However, today I had a bit of an accident on my way to uni (to an exam no less!) and went down sideways. The bike is fine thank god (scratched my lovely shiny new pedals though!). My head hit the ground and with a thud and it didn't hurt much on impact (good helmet I guess) but I did have a headache for most of the morning, and I've injured my leg quite bad (like a gravel rash through jeans) blood and all. Looking at the helmet, there are 2 grooves on the visor, but the foam all looks ok except for a few little scratches. Should I replace it?

Its a good helmet (Specialized Tactic ~£60) so it did its job well, but for a relatively light accident is it worth replacing or will it stand up to more? I should probably err on the side of caution but its a bit of an expense if its not damaged.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I would replace it. It's not so much the outer layer that's the problem with a bicycle helmet, it's the inner polystyrene which gets compressed and potentially starts to break up and won't protect you as well in a subsequent accident. I saw a review a while back that suggested the cheap helmets are as good at protecting you as the expensive ones (I've looked but can't find the article at the moment) but they tend to be heavier, so it's really a case of finding one that's comfortable.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
+1 i'd also replace it if it was me.

When i commuted i tended to buy good brand but mega reduced helmets, rare i paid much over £30 for one, i did tend to change them about once a year though, not only because of all the bumps and scrapes, i also found my skid lids tended to get a bit smelly after a years hard use.
I washed the pads inside the helmet regularly, but it's the polystyrene that ends up smelling.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Without reading other people's comments, I would say replace.

My logic to this is that if you're asking the question then it probably needs to be replaced. I'm guessing you don't want to spend out unecessarilly (I would be the same!) but actually, what's the cost of not replacing it worth to you?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Definitely replace it, the support and structure gained from the micro honeycomb matrix has been destroyed, another impact from the same area will split it like a melon, i replace my helmets only after an impact, sounds like you are very glad you had your bonce box on. I use to only wear mine when 'proper cycling' then one day nippin to the shops i went down like a sack of badly packed crockery and now wear one every time i am near the bikes

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How much would you pay to avoid brain damage or death?

If the answer is "1% of my higher education fees", then buy one.

If that is not the answer, you shouldn't be in higher education.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
, sounds like you are very glad you had your bonce box on.
Certainly am! Always wear it and can't encourage people enough to wear theirs! Warwick uni is hardly the middle of Coventry busy but the surrounding area is still a dangerous urban area. I've even got a helmet camera to record bad drivers and as a bit of evidence god forbid anything particularly bad happens.

And BR I like that logic a lot. Have decided it will definitely be getting replaced this weekend. I guess I just needed people to reassure me I wasn't wasting my money! Thanks all :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Came off a bike once when the turbo kicked in. Trashed a skid lid and full leathers. Best money I have ever spent.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was 30+ years ago. I still have to wear a full beard - otherwise I look like Frankenstein when the sun comes out - face like a patchwork quilt :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Latest studies reveal cyclists are safer without helmets ! Make of that what you will. @ummat to do with cars will get closer to acyclist with ahelmet than one without . *** ???

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
If in doubt, replace it.

I've gone through 3 so far from bouncing off various objects/vehicles. Contact the manufacturer, many allow you to replace a helmet at a reduced cost if it's taken damage in an accident.

As for the "safer to not wear a helmet" the answer is "depends".

J

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I used to work for the AA breakdown recovery service long ago and a survey was done on members regarding cyclists and over 70% of drivers (AA members) said they felt they needed to be less careful when overtaking a cyclists who was wearing a helmet as they thought that they would be okay if they got knocked off and when they seen a cyclists without a helmet they took a wide berth

ps edit i still wear a helmet always

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Yes it is documented that drivers over take cyclists closer if they are wearing a helmet. The same study also found that if you have a long blonde plait down your back, and look female they give you more space. The thing is the helmet is there for more when the motorists are aiming for you. I trashed one helmet hitting the side of a truck at 25mph. It pulled out in front of me, and I went bang into the side of it and rolled down the road. I trashed another when I banged it on the no cycling sign as I rode underneath it...

Personally I say the best piece of protective clothing you can have when cycling is a pair of gloves. It's never pleasant to spend a few hours picking the bits of gravel out of the palm of your hand following a minor over the handle bars tarmac interaction...

J

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Me in the middle of breaking a helmet

going up and over

Over the Top.jpg

and landing

First Contact.jpg

as soon as i came over the brow i knew i was screwed when i seen the official event organiser cameraman

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Cycle helmets are compulsory in NZ. 55 dollar ticket for not wearing one compared with a 50 dollar ticket for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike. Go figure.
The integrity of the helmet will be compromised if you knocked it enough to give yourself a headache - given all the advice you have probably got a new helmet already!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Latest studies reveal cyclists are safer without helmets ! Make of that what you will. @ummat to do with cars will get closer to acyclist with ahelmet than one without . *** ???

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

I listened to that on Radio 4 recently, also said that cheap helmets are all but pointless. One of our A&E consultants referred to cyclists who didn't wear helmets as 'Organ Donors' (bit of medical humour for you).

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
@GGTBod. 70% of drivers drive closer? That confirms my belief that 70% of people are idiots. ;)

Oh, and about your tumble. I'm not really a cyclist but I think the back wheel should have stayed on the ground. I hope you weren't hurt.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Just a mild concussion and a dislocated shoulder and i couldn't cycle for about 3 months, i made it to the end of that lap but once i crossed the line i retired from the race, helmet was visibly unmarked on the outside but when you pressed on the outside the foam internals showed a direct crack right through. I would have been dead without the helmet as my first point of impact was a branch end which caused the helmet cracking and i had a matching egg on me bonce just above my ear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE