repairing ideas for a bivy ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
I got a dutch army bivy, they have those 2 big strap on the botom for a sleeping pad, so you won't roll off you pad wenn sleeping. Well i put mine pad IN the bivy, so i though i would save some weight by cutting away those straps, since i ain't going to use them anyways... right side of the upper strap, went ok. Left side of the upperstrap, went good too, The right lower strap went... i cut a part of mine bivy ! :yikes: :f: :aargh4: :z: :eek:\: :aargh4: :yikes: :aargh4: :AR15firin :shock: :-( :-x :f: :aargh4: :eek:\: :z: :rant: :nono: :rant: :yikes: :soapbox: :aargh4: :eek:\: :f: :soapbox: *&^%#@(&$#&%)#*%$)*#&$*@^(*&%$#()%*
)#&^%)(_#&%#&#$* #(&%_(&#%# #&%(_#&%# #&%(&#%#*%& *&#%&#&%(_*# !!!!! :banghead: :z: :yikes: :cry: :aargh4:

the left side of the lower strap went fortunatly ok..
i fixed the hole with ducttape on both the out and inside. I have plan to get out and buy some adheisive tent patches to patches those spots, they stick beter, more flexible and looks beter. Is that a good idea ? or should i fix it on a diffrent way ? I haven't seen gore-tex repair patches which i can use on this fellow....

ARGH ! :soapbox:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
If it is the thick breathable material you could try a bicycle tube repair kit and put a patch on both sides.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
PC2K said:
i thought the therma-rest repair kits are ment for patching small punchured holes, i got a big V-shaped CUT.
If the cut is massive, a tyre repair centre might be able to patch it for you ... it won't be breathable at that spot but it'll be waterproof!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
PC2K said:
i thought the therma-rest repair kits are ment for patching small punchured holes, i got a big V-shaped CUT.

I think it's for small cuts too. The largest patch in the kit is brown in colour, square and exactly the same size as a standard floppy disk.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i did though of using mine tire repair kit, but i have never been able to fix bicyle tires with MUCH smaller punctures, Mine idea is to apply a adheisive tent cloth in the right color, on one side, put some bycle tire repair glue ( or whatever they call it ) on the other side and than cover it with tent cloth aswell. Those bicyle repair patches somehow never really want to stick. Wenn i use those patches on tires, they always will be lose. Only after i have pump the tire up it will stick beter, atleast they look stucked, wenn i have to repair another hole in the tire.

the cut is big, but not that big. It actually looks kinda small now, must be the shock, that made it looked HUGE ! Still to big, any hole is to big... one leg of the V is +/- 5cm and the other +/- 3cm

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
the trick is to cover quite a large area with not much glue and leave it for a bit. there is another method. sure to be loved here it involves FIRE.
*put lots of glue on tube
*set fire to it
*blow out after a bit
*put patch on
very quick as well of course.

this means you dont have to sand the tube not sure id trust it with a bivvy bag but still. bear in mind the bad may absorb so of the glue so you may need more then when fixing a tube. lots of pressure will of course help it stick

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
PC2K

what about trying ripstop nylon self adhesive repair tape available in 50mm widths by as long as you require off a roll. Available in many colours and water resistant.
I used some on my sleeping bag when I accidently ripped it with an ice axe - the tear was about 300mm - that was at least 10 years ago and the bag and repair are still going strong.

Cheers

JFW

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
thats what i ment with adheisive tent cloth ! they come in strips here. i just havent seen it in rip-stop, though. And i think it's waterproof, since the repair won't cover that much surface area, i can just use the waterproof stuff.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
How about using sail repair tape? I used to use it all the time on my dinghy sails and for random bergen repairs and it was tough as anything. It's available from pretty much any boat chandlers and in lots of sizes. Think you can get carbon fibre re-inforced stuff too for added strength.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
before you start slapping on glue (and setting fire to it???? :yikes: :nono: )

with a strong thread sew the hole as you would on normal cloth, this will strengthen the area, once done then introduce glues and fabric.

this is the way i do repairs and it always lasts longer!

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i'm not going to set it on fire !
i have thought of sewning it shur first, but i'm not sure i want to do that. Me + needle's = auw ! besides i might puncture other small holes in places where i don't want them. I Will see what i do in the weekend, or whenever i got the time and got the patches. argh... and i only got € 11 for the rest of the month...

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
The Thermarest repair kit will work. I sewed up the tear im my goretex jacket, then glued over the top with "Seam Grip" out of the thermarest kit.
The seam grip stuff is great , dries to a sort of rubbery finish.
If you can't sew, tape the inside to hold it shut, and glue the outside. As recommended for the thermorest .
The largest patch in mine is about the size of a floppy disc but round.
Cheers
Rich

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Hi,
My wife says post a piccie of the damage and she will cast her expert seamstress eye over it and suggest what to do. Ask her nicely and she will probably fix it for you if you pay the cost of return postage.
Cheers
David

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
thank you very much for the offer, but i live in holland and the long wait and the postage cost will be proberbly be too high for me. I also like to learn things myself, you never know wenn some skills come in handy. Don't have a camera either..

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
PC2K said:
thank you very much for the offer, but i live in holland and the long wait and the postage cost will be proberbly be too high for me. I also like to learn things myself, you never know wenn some skills come in handy. Don't have a camera either..
No problem,
Based on your description Sarah says patch it. I've probably got a big enough scrap of ventile if you fancy a go, pm me with your address if you want a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE