Repair advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leanrascal

Nov 1, 2019
London, UK
Just the cord? You could rethread a new one through yourself?

Thanks Stew, but the cord is actually sewn into the fabric at both ends. But forget about the specific repair I need right now.
My question could be rephrased to:
Who should I trust with all my gear repairs over the coming years?

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Thanks Stew, but the cord is actually sewn into the fabric at both ends. But forget about the specific repair I need right now.

The most trustworthy person is yourself for once one has acquired skills and it does have to be said needing to repair something is a well known motivator for learning new skills, one can repair what's broke to one's own satisfaction and take pride in it to have no fear of future mishap through knowing one knows how to deal with mishap or can at least find out.

And when I hit the sticks I always carry a sewing kit.

Sewn at both ends, unpick the stitching replace what's broke and re sew.

And if one needs to machine sew and doesn't have a machine, pick up one of the old Singer machines off fleabay where I can at least recommend the Singer 99(K) of which can be had with a hand crank to power it though a motor driven is easier and yes it will sew leather and numerous other heavy materials whilst also being well recognised as an exceptionally fine stitcher to have a stitching range of 6 to 30 stitches per inch and they can be had very cheaply - mine a 1958 model of which came with both hand crank and motor cost £20

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Depends where you are and what you need repairing. There's many repair businesses around the place. I can think of a few places such companies are based just not quite remembering their names. By reputation I can suggest where to look.

Sleeping bag repair, cleaning and refilling/ overpacking i can suggest a company in ulverston, Cumbria. Mountain something i think they're called. They can even take down and p parts from two bags to make one good one i think. They deal a lot with high altitude mountaineers I believe so high end down suit repair, etc.

There's a general repair and cleaning service based somewhere near Chorley, Lancashire I believe that used to get recommended. Just checked, they're in Burnley and called LSR or Lancashire sports repair. I was sure they started off near chorley.

There's a very good tent repair and other items repaired to in a Scottish repair company. Scottish mountain gear is the name.

An alternative for minor repairs is Alpkit. They will repair their own stuff and other brand's stuff too. Not repairing everything but they have repair stations in a few shops or you can send off for repair at their uk factory. They're not a bad company and this I think is a service they're doing as an extra for good will and eco credentials too I think. They seem to have a good ethos to their business.

I hope this information helps.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The ulverston company it seems has moved to Grange over Sands. They're called mountaineering designs.

Actually I might contact them. I've got a sleeping bag that was once a lot warmer. I could see if they could put more down in it or get it back to its original 0°C rating.

Reactions: leanrascal

leanrascal

Nov 1, 2019
London, UK
Depends where you are and what you need repairing. There's many repair businesses around the place. I can think of a few places such companies are based just not quite remembering their names. By reputation I can suggest where to look.

Sleeping bag repair, cleaning and refilling/ overpacking i can suggest a company in ulverston, Cumbria. Mountain something i think they're called. They can even take down and p parts from two bags to make one good one i think. They deal a lot with high altitude mountaineers I believe so high end down suit repair, etc.

There's a general repair and cleaning service based somewhere near Chorley, Lancashire I believe that used to get recommended. Just checked, they're in Burnley and called LSR or Lancashire sports repair. I was sure they started off near chorley.

There's a very good tent repair and other items repaired to in a Scottish repair company. Scottish mountain gear is the name.

An alternative for minor repairs is Alpkit. They will repair their own stuff and other brand's stuff too. Not repairing everything but they have repair stations in a few shops or you can send off for repair at their uk factory. They're not a bad company and this I think is a service they're doing as an extra for good will and eco credentials too I think. They seem to have a good ethos to their business.

I hope this information helps.

Many thanks for this. That is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping to get. And more! I am very very grateful.

leanrascal

Nov 1, 2019
London, UK
The most trustworthy person is yourself for once one has acquired skills and it does have to be said needing to repair something is a well known motivator for learning new skills, one can repair what's broke to one's own satisfaction and take pride in it to have no fear of future mishap through knowing one knows how to deal with mishap or can at least find out.

And when I hit the sticks I always carry a sewing kit.

Sewn at both ends, unpick the stitching replace what's broke and re sew.

And if one needs to machine sew and doesn't have a machine, pick up one of the old Singer machines off fleabay where I can at least recommend the Singer 99(K) of which can be had with a hand crank to power it though a motor driven is easier and yes it will sew leather and numerous other heavy materials whilst also being well recognised as an exceptionally fine stitcher to have a stitching range of 6 to 30 stitches per inch and they can be had very cheaply - mine a 1958 model of which came with both hand crank and motor cost £20

Interesting answer. Not what I was thinking but it's definitely made me think. And the approach you propose is definitely aligned with the bushcraft ethos of being able to do things yourself with a minimum of fuss and maximum self-reliance. I may give it a go.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If a plastic cord starts to fray, I usually just take a cigarette lighter and melt the threads together.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
A
Interesting answer. Not what I was thinking but it's definitely made me think. And the approach you propose is definitely aligned with the bushcraft ethos of being able to do things yourself with a minimum of fuss and maximum self-reliance. I may give it a go.

Yep that self sufficiency is part of my bush craft ethos, hence why I advise self repair where I can, for myself to have come to hate having to farm stuff out to others to repair, to have made a living repairing stuff once. But the machines I mentioned there are loads of them about for example, the kilbowie factory in Scotland to be the origin of that 'K' on most of the UK machines churned out 36 million sewing machines between 1884 and 1943 and Singer are still going, mine as already mentioned is a 1958 model, to be made in the last year of 99 production, the 99 being made from 1921-1958. They don't command high prices unless they're something special like say a featherweight or the machine preferred by professionals, the 201 mkII, do a completed sale search on fleabay to get a feel for what they're worth if you're going to go for one, the model 66 is the same as the 99 just bigger and heavier as the 99 weighs 10kg. Plenty of videos on youtube concerning them, how to thread them, use them and maintain them, even vids of them sewing heavy materials like leather.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
My mother owned a small sewing machine which unfortunately broke down in the end.

But outdoor equipment was my father's job and he did traditionally all by hand.

Honestly I nowadays often use the service of a good cutter to get my cheaper modern stuff repaired but modern or historic quality equipment I still do myself. By hand! It's sensible to train field repairs.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
PaulB - is it a down bag that's not so warm? If so, washing it will help. Dry it on a low heat in the machine and put a few tennis balls in with it .... it'll fluff it back up. Could skip the washing part if you like

Last edited:

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
My mother owned a small sewing machine which unfortunately broke down in the end.

But outdoor equipment was my father's job and he did traditionally all by hand.

Honestly I nowadays often use the service of a good cutter to get my cheaper modern stuff repaired but modern or historic quality equipment I still do myself. By hand! It's sensible to train field repairs.

What the old machines suffer most from is lack of lubrication and the collection of dirt of which ironically can be caused by over lubrication and lack of cleaning. For many of the old machines when one gets one to be best advised to give the thing a thorough clean and lube job, even carry out the specified maintenance programme - (most manuals are online if not with the machines) before considering to use. Where of oils, the best oil for them is sewing machine oil or at a pinch 3 in 1 but not fine spray releasing oils as beyond being 'too thin' can through also being a degreaser of sorts, encourage rust.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE