Rep scales

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I agree with BS. Ban thier sorry behinds name and shame them. Allow them to burn screaming in perpetual agony for all enterity. May they find no welcome by our fireside.

I have no time for such petty point scoring. Grow up you sad little XXXXX

leon-1

Gentlemen, the rep system may not be gone for good, I know that Tony is looking into his options. At the moment though this is not up for debate.

The situation is being looked into and for the moment the system is not available and may not now be available untill after the software upgrade of the site.

Wayne, you know me and you know that I would strongly object if I thought that Tony was wrong, however Tony has the full support of the moderators in his actions (including mine). We have been discussing this for well over 24 hours and for the moment this is the best option. You will have to take my word on that.

If it does result in people being banned at the end of this then he will have our support in that as well.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Leon sorry if i sounded rude to you or Tony. I have the utmost respect for both of you.

Your house your rules. I just find it frustrating that we bushcrafters spend more time trying to score petty points than helping one another.

My rant was directed at the abusers of the system not the admin team.

bent-stick said:
I'd seen that.

Doesn't tell us much does it...and my argument still holds.

IMHO rep is earned by deeds and actions not through any other reason.

If some folks have been playing games with the system I would support a ban for a period of time and their rep points being reset to zero.

As for naming and shaming I’m not in favour – this should be done discreetly by Tony and his team by PM to the offenders.

I really don’t think that the genuine folk that have invested time and effort into this community should suffer because of a few.

Phil.

leon-1

Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I really don’t think that the genuine folk that have invested time and effort into this community should suffer because of a few.

Phil.

Believe it or not we are of exactly the same opinion.

Being a bit of an egomaniac:) I like the rep system and I am appreciative of when someone sends me rep for something I have done or posted.

Many people have earned a good level of respect and reputation including some of the mods. We have all done this because we wanted to help others in some way, shape or form.

We didn't do it for little dots or rep points. If they aren't there, never mind, we still keep doing what we are doing.

Remember the rep system hasn't been removed to punish the forum or its members and as I say it will more than likely be back once the forums software has been upgraded.

leon-1

Wayne said:
Leon sorry if i sounded rude to you or Tony. I have the utmost respect for both of you.

Your house your rules. I just find it frustrating that we bushcrafters spend more time trying to score petty points than helping one another.

My rant was directed at the abusers of the system not the admin team.

Wayne I understand that and you did not come across as having a go at any of the mod or admin team. You understand that we are all very different people and to get a unanimous decision from us would be difficult at best, on this occasion it has exactly that.

leon-1

torjusg said:
I don't know what has being going on, but wouldn't it be possible to make the rep system only go in positive direction? :confused: :)

I wish I could tell you, but to be honest I don't know enough about how the software on the rep system works (it's a plugin).

As I said before there is a good chance it will be back when the software for the site has been upgraded, but people will have to wait untill then.

Believe me I am missing it as much as anyone else, I went to give rep earlier and had to bite my lip.

Remember the thing that makes this site is not the rep system, it is it's members and the spirit of the site in general which is maintained by the members as a whole.

Many of the mods don't want to lose the rep system (there are a couple who don't really care either way), but at the moment it isn't a total loss it is in all likelyhood temporary.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I like the rep system and it has encouraged me to try to answer posts thoroughly that I wouldn't prehaps reply to other wise.
Aside from the current issue
  • All my rep is from a small handful of members
  • It takes a very long time to go up a level (only 1 member with 3 dots IIRC)
  • The scoring system seems odd
  • People often don't know what the system is or how to use it
I'm trying to offer my advice/opinion. The system is pretty good and I hope you can resolve this issue happily. Mods :You_Rock_

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
torjusg said:
I don't know what has being going on, but wouldn't it be possible to make the rep system only go in positive direction? :confused: :)

I’m not sure that would help, the current abuse of the system is probably not restricted to leaving negative reputation.

Some cliques may be using the system to artificially increase the reputation of their own circle without justification, by repeatedly awarding each other reputation.

The forum software has a feature to prevent this under normal circumstances, it prevents you from increasing the same person’s reputation twice consecutively until you have given reputation to a certain number of other members (5, I think)

Unfortunately I suspect that some cliques have realised that if your circle is bigger than 5 people you can just give everyone in your group reputation and then start again, with them doing the same for you. or the other possibility if your clique is smaller is to get all your friends to sign up to BCUK and give you reputation, then spread rep around randomly until they can award you again, and repeat.

Very childish really, but it would appear that some people just aren’t above such behaviour

leon-1

sam_acw said:
I'm trying to offer my advice/opinion. The system is pretty good and I hope you can resolve this issue happily. Mods :You_Rock_

Sam we appreciate your input, as we do with every member of BCUK.

Rep points are hard earnt I agree, which is one of the main reasons that abuse of the system is very hard for people to accept and very difficult for us to deal with.

We as a team are trying our very best to sort a solution to the problem, it may take a little time, but hopefully the Rep system will be back in place.

leon-1

Now Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have established as much as we humanly can in this thread, so I am going to close it.

Naturally, all of the admin and mods thank all of the responsible persons that have posted and are paying interest to the thread and for thier support, but for the minute there is nothing more to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE