Removing wax from boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
So i got a pair of old ammo boots from the 50's and my problem is they are covered in a black wax.It was put on them originally and then bulled to a mirror finish.Thing is, as i dont have an RSM to impress do any of you know of something to remove it?Maybe something that will dissolve the wax?I intend to just use dubbin on them.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Reverse method to this:

[video=youtube;MnzVdvbvnMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnzVdvbvnMc&feature=re lated[/video]

Last edited:

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
The last pair I had were ONLY for parade ground / ceremonial duties such as Remembrance Day, so I am at a loss as
to what you would want them for...
Maybe in nineteen canteen, but they are certainly not what I would use for hiking nowadays..... :deadhorse: :confused:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If you don't have any joy with that method you can heat up the boots using a hair dryer then apply your dubbin directly onto the wax, it should soak in & the leather will become matt.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Although some people have used Dubbin for the best part of four decades, some bushcrafters say if you use it your boots will explode or at best fall apart at the seams, you need to buy some more expensive boot salve, Fjallraven must do some for £40 or get some Tactical boot rub off Kifaru for about £100.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
The last pair I had were ONLY for parade ground / ceremonial duties such as Remembrance Day, so I am at a loss as
to what you would want them for...
Maybe in nineteen canteen, but they are certainly not what I would use for hiking nowadays..... :deadhorse: :confused:

ww2 reenacting.

Although some people have used Dubbin for the best part of four decades, some bushcrafters say if you use it your boots will explode or at best fall apart at the seams, you need to buy some more expensive boot salve, Fjallraven must do some for £40 or get some Tactical boot rub off Kifaru for about £100.

i like the sound of this 'tactical boot ruboff'.Could you recommend a supplier?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE