Removing spray glue from a bath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Not entirely sure this is the best location - but a little while ago i used some spray glue (ie aerasol glue) to mount wet and dry onto wooden blocks to make sharpening blocks.
Now while i now do have nice shiney and sharp knives and axes i also have some residue from spraying the glue erm...in my bath and since i am moving out of the flat think its about time i should get rid of it.

There are only small patches but does anyone have any bright ideas for what might help getting rid of/disolving the blooming stuff without ruining the plastic bath.
Its the faintly rubbery finish glue not solid.

Help to save my deposit greatly apreciated!

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
I would have said Nailpolish remover, but not sure if that wont affect the bath itself. Worth trying on the bath in a hidden corner, behind the taps or so to see if the remover removes the bath too?? :dunno:
Sorry thats all I can think of
Good Luck
Ness :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It should rub off. Try pouring icy cold water onto the blobs and then rubbing at them. If that doesn't work try the other way with very hot water. I know I got some of the plumbers residue off a plastic vanity sink by using washing powder on a sponge to scrub at it. The powder was just gritty enough to rub but not to scour the plastic.

See if you find a way that works? will you let us know ? because as sure as eggs is eggs, you won't be the only person who'll ask this :D

cheers,
Toddy

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I find that most solvents (meths, isopropol (?) alcohol, etc) will remove things like that. Give it a try - but try on a hidden area first as others have said.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've used spray deodorants to remove stuff like that at work in the past. Works great for removing permanent marker as well. As always try a small bit first but there shouldn't be any discolouration...good luck!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wash your most expensive woolen or silk garments in the bath - sure as anything the glue will transfer onto your irreplaceable garments!
Other than that try the aforementioned treatments......

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
wd40 leave to soak for about 10 mins,or some lighter fluid may do the job, someone said nail varnish remover that sounds a good bet to

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I would think it would pick off, I glued a faom insert to my shotgun cabinet with spray glue, it went all over my Beretta, istead of using a cleaner i just picked it off to keep the damage to the minimum.

If not i wouls agree with the above, wd40 shouldnt damage the bath surface, its great for getting marks off upvc windows etc

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
OMG, if I had done that the flaming I would have got from SWMBO would have burnt the glue to a crisp.:BlueTeamE:stretcher:

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Right well thanks for all the ideas,

The Glue was Bostick strong spray adhesive (in the blue spray).

I tried the WD 40 and it worked a dream!! my bathroom now has that faintly sweet oily smell to it which is actually quite nice.

Now how to stop the bath being lethaly slick.. ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE