Removing small snails, insects ect

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ash Blue

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
Manchester
There's a few plants that I gather a few KG of, and notice the odd small snail (about 2mm). I tried washing the foraged leaves in water for a while, but still find a few stuck to them. Is their a method to drive away these snails and other creepers from the batch of leaves?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Snails always seem to wash off. I dont eat foraged wetland plants raw, ever. Small molluscs can be an issue on seaweed, I have never got round it. I just discard seaweed nurserys back into the sea. Insects are unavoidable in foraged food.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Ash please don't think I am being a grammar Nazi or spelling freak but it is not "ect" ect means nothing. If you write etc. on the other hand you are using the commonly shortened version of the word et cetera. The et means and and the cetera basically means the rest.

Apologies for being a pedant.

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
Snail slime is exactly the same substance as mucus. Mucus is water-soluble, so more vigorous washing, soaking for a bit before washing, or boiling the lot and then separating them afterwards should all be worth a try. I would always advise cooking water plants anyway, as I am personally not too keen on getting liver flukes or other parasites, and not expert enough in individual parasites to be sure of avoiding them. Boiled is clean!

Snails are a nice snack but I reckon the tiny ones will seem like they're all shell. Mmm, chalky!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sand hill snails arent a nice snack, they are like something that should be spat or sneezed out not swallowed. Garden snails are good the way the french do them.snails and slugs have their own branch of parasite science, they are that good a disease vector.

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
^ Yeah, that was what I was getting at. Although Sand Hill Snails are apparently edible they're also an intermediary fluke vector. I've never tried them. I think some flukes mature in the snail and then travel up to the eye-stalks, making them bulge and wriggle like little worms, which then attracts the birds which host the adult fluke.

I wouldn't want to be a snail...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE