Removing pigeon crowns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I saw this done on Mike Robinsons Heavans Kitchen at Large, couldn't find anything on the internet but the pot kiln cookery school passed on this tip. Its a really quick method to get the best meat in about 5 seconds (the ferrets can have the rest).

Firstly this only works with a warm bird. Rip off the wings at the joint close to the breast.

Push your thumb up under the rib cage whilst pulling it’s back away from your thumb, it should open like a book.

The jumper of feathers round the chest can slide away and breast on the crown comes off in your hands.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Thanks torc, struggling to play it on my pc at the moment. When I saw this on Heavans Kitchen the pigeon shooter did it in a matter of seconds. Oliver at the pot kiln said the bird must be warm for best results.

Anyone tried this method?

Jan 12, 2006
wiltshire
i pluck just enough feathers off the breast so i can nick it with my knife then i cut off the wings with pruning shears (for ease of handeling) i cut from the just above the anus to the neak not going too deep and then i fillet from the sternum to the chest cavity all around the breast meatand roberts your mums brother a fine lump of protein boneless to boot!!!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've demo'd the method at a moot a while back and also done a step by step in one of the BCUK mags - can't remember which one.
It also works with cold birds although it's a bit tougher on the thumbs. In fact the old timer who first showed me used a half defrosted bird because he hadn't taken it out the freezer in time.
You don't even have to take the wings off first, if you do it right the wings often stay on the carcass, if not just rip them off after.

Works a treat, as you say seconds per bird.

Hope this helps

Mark

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Yup, the first thing that we did on my Survival School course (a great bunch of chaps, IMO) last year was a knifeless prep of pigeons for our dinner on the Friday evening. Talk about an icebreaker!

I'm a lot less squeamish now that I was then(!), and I find it a great way to get most of the useable meat with a minimum of effort. And no danger of cut fingers!

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE