Camera Carrying 'rig'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
As I mentioned in my recent thread about buckles I mentioned I would post info on how I now carry my camera (I have ditched the std neck strap and never got on with the bandoleer sling strap as the 'swinging around' annoyed me.)

The key to my system is I have a L-bracket fitted to mount the camera onto my tripod that has an Arca swiss ball head.

IMG_20210527_115028_094 by graham belsten, on Flickr

IMG_20210527_115113_688 by graham belsten, on Flickr

I purchased a long arca swiss mount

IMG_20210527_114918_122 by graham belsten, on Flickr

and bolted this to a leather strap that snugly fits onto my 50mm wide CCS belt (with its new buckle :D)

IMG_20210527_114952_278 by graham belsten, on Flickr

next (although the 'stop bolt' on the L-bracket did catch on the mount I felt it could be improved) I added a couple of washers to the bolt to make it protude more and not risk 'slipping past' the bottom of the ushaped groove where it catches to hold it in place.

IMG_20210527_124140_634 by graham belsten, on Flickr

And that is it!

a quick release bracket that holds the camera securley and firmley and does not flap around or swing in the way all the time :) The brackedt does not come fully appart and the thumbscrew can be nipped up tight to secure it even further and is easy to quickly loosen and then remove the camera ready for shooting one handed. I know a picture tells 1000 words (and you have already had 5000) but what better than a picture? a moving picture!

so here it is in action (all 3 seconds of it!)

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I’ve been a bit lazy and haven’t had my SLR out for a while, I use a Peak Design mount that will attach to 25mm webbing often found on rucksack straps.

Reactions: Emdiesse

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I’ve been a bit lazy and haven’t had my SLR out for a while, I use a Peak Design mount that will attach to 25mm webbing often found on rucksack straps.

How do you get on with capture I fancy one.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have a capture copy which I have my old bridge camera (looks like a slr) on and it works fine. But because I already had a L-bracket it would have meant taking it off to fit the capture plate.

bruno73

Banned
May 5, 2021
thurso
T
As I mentioned in my recent thread about buckles I mentioned I would post info on how I now carry my camera (I have ditched the std neck strap and never got on with the bandoleer sling strap as the 'swinging around' annoyed me.)

The key to my system is I have a L-bracket fitted to mount the camera onto my tripod that has an Arca swiss ball head.

IMG_20210527_115028_094 by graham belsten, on Flickr

IMG_20210527_115113_688 by graham belsten, on Flickr

I purchased a long arca swiss mount

IMG_20210527_114918_122 by graham belsten, on Flickr

and bolted this to a leather strap that snugly fits onto my 50mm wide CCS belt (with its new buckle :D)

IMG_20210527_114952_278 by graham belsten, on Flickr

next (although the 'stop bolt' on the L-bracket did catch on the mount I felt it could be improved) I added a couple of washers to the bolt to make it protude more and not risk 'slipping past' the bottom of the ushaped groove where it catches to hold it in place.

IMG_20210527_124140_634 by graham belsten, on Flickr

And that is it!

a quick release bracket that holds the camera securley and firmley and does not flap around or swing in the way all the time :) The brackedt does not come fully appart and the thumbscrew can be nipped up tight to secure it even further and is easy to quickly loosen and then remove the camera ready for shooting one handed. I know a picture tells 1000 words (and you have already had 5000) but what better than a picture? a moving picture!

so here it is in action (all 3 seconds of it!)

Thanks for putting it up. What a great idea

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I thinking about this at the moment. Do not like the idea of having it locked to my side because of people and well trees.
I use a SunSniper sling when being a tourist.
I have the same problem with my binos in that their pouch does not fit on my ruc and the pouches that do are just to big.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
As an update. I'm now onto my Mk2 version :)

This rig is fastened by 4 heavy duty poppers to enable it to be easily put on and off different belts.

IMG_20210603_142944_708 by graham belsten, on Flickr

IMG_20210603_142959_406 by graham belsten, on Flickr

The origional one is staying on my main belt and will be used the most - this new one is for occasional use on a rucksack waistbelt etc and the odd time I wish to carry my big lens at the same time.

To add to Brancho's comment about using the capture with a big lens I agree completely with his comment but with my rig I have no worries and my lens alone is over 1.7KG!!

IMG_20210603_143735_660 by graham belsten, on Flickr

The 'odd' brown lens cap is not infact a lens cap as such, when the lens is carried in this position the zoom 'droops' and you end up with a 320mm (physical size this is) lens hanging down. the cap with its elastic holds it in the 'closed' position at a measly 220mm :p it also works if i have the lens cap fitted (currently in the 'storage' position in the pic) and is then a wopping 420mm!

All in all I amvery pleased wit the setup now - is easy to use and secure and I will update you further if I have another eureka moment / I have further comments as it gets use.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't want to fumble and fart around and usually miss the moment.
The chest harness puts the camera up in front of me where I can see the controls and the camera can see what I see. Push the button. Normally, they are quick-release rigs for when you really want the camera in your hands, so be it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE