Removable fur ruff, how to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I just bought a suitable fur off evilbay and want to fix it (in a removable way) to the hood of my new and to-be-dyed swedish smock.
There have been lots of pics here in the forum about this. How did you attatch yours on the hood?

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I once made one with wolf fur and made a long strip of nylon, reinforced on the inside with a stiffener fabric sold at fabric stores, forget the proper name. I sewed it all together, pretty simple. Sewed on the wolf fur and had a velco attachment on both the parka hood and the strip. It was functional and removable for cleaning of the parka or if you wanted to avoid a nasty confrontation with a PETA mob.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Thank you, maybe I will probably use sew-on press-studs.

Quoting Wayland, I am a bit at loss in understanding it:
"As mentioned the two skins are sewn at together at the cuffs and skirt but the upper part of the hood is connected with velcro to allow me to get between the skins to fix anything that needs fixing.

As there is a hooky and loopy side it was a simple affair to make a hood extension with opposite hooky and loopy bits and the fur attached to that.

Easy to remove and the parka can be used with or without the ruff."

Wayland

Hárbarðr
OK, I'll try to explain it again and see if I can make it clearer this time.

My parka is made of two separate layers, one of canvas the other of Ventile.

These layers are connected together at the edge of the hood with Velcro which means that there is a catchy strip on one layer and a loopy strip on the other to hold the two shells of the hood together.

The fur of my ruff is glued to a wide strip of canvas so that there is a 3/4 inch strip sticking out all along one edge. To this edge I have stitched Velcro to both sides with the catchy strip on one side and the loopy strip on the other.

To fit the ruff to the parka, all I have to do is split the two layers of the hood, place the Velcro strips of the ruff between the appropriate strips on the hood and squeeze them back together.

I hope that makes more sense.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One link with pictures http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=949.msg7340#msg7340

I'm currently working on a project that will have a ruff according to the instructions in Edna Wilders book (Secrets of Eskimo Skins Sewing). She calls for what I would call a rounded conical piece (imagine a flat strip about 17-20 cm wide, but gently curved into about 1/8 of a circle). The narrow end is inwards, the flow of fur away from the face. I'll try to take a usefull picture of the book page and post it on the web, links here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE