reluctant sale of my woody

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Combatblade1, you asked how something could be true and at the same time be offensive. Well, consider this scenario;

Wife: "Honey, does this dress make my butt look big?"
Husband: "Yes dear, it sure does!

Any questions???

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just my tuppence , but as the item has now been sold I see nothing wrong discussing the tradeable'cost' of it .

Surely to some people it is no longer just a knife but a valuable collectable? I wouldnt pay over £100 for a knife but thats me , others may see it a more of a appreciable collectable then a knife and so invest in its cost knowing it would hold its value and may will appreciate.

Quite a few instructers only use the cheap and cheerful Mora , so what does that tell you? Do you need an pricey knife for Bushcraft? No- Is it in the Human soul to cherish , cherisable thing's? Seems to be.

As an example of when a knife becomes a collectable , please follow the link here , the price is mainly from the fact that these knifes by this Bladesmith are no longer made. Would i like this knife , Yes . At that Cost , No.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441157

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ok folks, here are some of the rules covering forum decorum in Member Classifieds. Please read them and follow them.

1. Seller posts up the price they want for an item.
2. Seller posts up that it includes fees and postage or not.
3. Buyers accept the price or not.
4. If the buyers think the prices are a bit high they can comment politely in the thread or via PM to the seller.
5. Do not all jump into the thread and say the prices are high, or you can get it here or there cheaper. Leave it alone if someone has already politely pointed it out.
6. The Seller can then comment as they see fit, change prices etc as they want to.
7. Do not keep jumping in saying the same thing as the posts will be removed and warnings given.
8. Always be polite and considerate.
9. Buyers end up buying or not
10. Seller ends up selling or not

There’s responsibility both ways, the seller should consider the prices he’s putting things up at, obviously if it’s a one off item made of precious materials he they can ask what they like for it as it’s got a value based on what people are willing to pay. If it’s a standard product then it needs to be pitched at a price that will sell, if it’s not it won’t.

If buyers think the prices are steep then politely say so, once. If someone has already said the prices are a bit high then there’s not need to say it again and again, drop the seller a polite PM saying that you’d buy from him but the item(s) are a bit much. Make sure you’ve got a good basis for it though and that it’s not just your whim that you want it cheaper.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
At the risk of banishment. Are these rules new? I.e. published now in light of the discussion below or have they been available previously and if so where?

Stephen

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I'd like to point out that I have NOT said anything is overpriced but am amazed what people pay for items. My work colleague pays thousands of pounds for cycles, he's in a club, is he keeping up with the Jones? I think so.

I can understand if, say a rucksack comes out and is priced at £500 and is extremely light, 100% waterproof/ tearproof, has inbuilt alloy legs, turns into a bivvi when needed and comes with a Honey Stove
icon10.gif
then yes! I'd be willing to pay the price....yer get me drift tho' eh?

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Look, I wasn't trying to offend anyone and did not know that saying something that I deemed non-offensive was against the rules.

I still stand by what I say and will never understand the "I got to have the best, whatever" attitude.

I could afford to buy a RM woody but I wouldn't as I still feel that it is way over the top for a knife. I do understand the basic economic premis of supply and demand so I don't need my intelligence insulting about gold and diamonds, blah blah.

A friend of mine pays thousands for fishing poles in exotic materials and I think he is nuts but it doesn't make him a better fisherman, those skills have to be learned not bought.

Some people that have money to burn seem to get the "buying the latest gadget whatever" bug and so there is an element of keeping up with the Jones'. How many of those people use their knives or simply bought them as an investment, I wonder?

There is another old saying that may offend the people that know it to be true, "All the gear and no idea!" LOL. ;)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Can a Mod please close this thread? There are countless other threads just like it where people have sold expensive knives, been criticised by others, who are then informed that what they are doing is bad form, who then say 'where are the rules?', and are then told 'Here are the rules', and then say 'Oh...' and then try to justify themselves by saying 'I didn't mean to offend but...', which actually means they did mean to offend.

Gill, I'm glad you sold your knife. To whoever bought it, I'm glad you got the knife you wanted.

Frankly, I believe there should be a new rule that states 'Unless you want to buy the item, do not post on the thread'.

sparksfly

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
London
Combatblade1, you asked how something could be true and at the same time be offensive. Well, consider this scenario;

Wife: "Honey, does this dress make my butt look big?"
Husband: "Yes dear, it sure does!

Any questions???

"No dear, the dress makes no appreciable difference"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE