Reindeer

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Makes me pine for sprucing him up.

Given the timing of antler drop, I think the whole team has to be female to put up with the fat guy.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is funny. You guys think Rudolf, and my first thought was a nice piece of air dried meat!
Preferably heart!

I remember how shocked the staff was at the clinic in UK when I explained we actually eat Rudolf the Reindeer!

Reactions: Sundowner

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What are reindeer for except to improve the economy of Lapland?

(Saami herding words are not their language, which tells you a lot about who domesticated this very important animal,)

Its not a reindeer, the neck is too long...a llama in a hat?

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
@Kepis Are you sure you haven´t made a giraffe? ;)
I mean look at the neck of this reindeer.

poro-550.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It does look like a llama with a cockatoos head. But I'm not critical. I hate to think of the comments if I'd tried to make one.! Who's to say you havnt invented a whole new animal? It's quite cute.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Exactly. If you need perfection, take a picture. Otherwise it's a a caricature.
Or all in all, it's a very good likeness of a South American Alpaca from the Andes of Peru
which you don't see, roaming loose in Europe. Not quite as unpleasant as a Llama.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What are reindeer for except to improve the economy of Lapland?

(Saami herding words are not their language, which tells you a lot about who domesticated this very important animal,)

Its not a reindeer, the neck is too long...a llama in a hat?
Not sure I am understanding you.....

The Reindeer was a hugely, hugely important animal for the ’inland’ or ’forest’ Same. ( not so important for the ’coastal’ Sames) as it provided basically everything they needed.
Food ( meat, fat, milk, cheese), leather, fur, tendons, bone, glue, power to pull sleds, power to carry heavy loads, and so on.

Today - not so important, but culturally some importance.
Out of around 100 000 Same around 3000 rely on Reindeer as their main income.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Nice one Mark, just another eleven to go :)

Eleven? Surely he's only got seven to go; after all, there's Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen. Rudolph didn't feature as he was suffering from a viral disease that does indeed make reindeer's noses go a more red colour before they die...

Reactions: Robson Valley

saxonaxe

Settler
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Luckily Rudolph must have survived that infection, as I still get presents delivered each year....unless of course Santa found a replacement as Team Leader. :( Surely not ?

saxonaxe

Settler
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I'm not so sure about that Janne. I'm sure you know of the Pagan custom of children leaving their shoes/boots filled with Carrots or straw by the fire hearth at Yule, for when Odin All-father passed by in his sleigh drawn by Sleipnir. The treats were for Sleipnir and Odin would leave a gift in return, for the kids.
The Christians hijacked the tale and attributed it to the 4th Century Christian Bishop who later got promoted to Sainthood. St Nicholas, the Patron Saint of the poor, children and prostitutes. His claim to fame was giving gifts to children and the poor and his Bishop's red robes trimmed with fur became Santa's uniform.
But Pagan kids in England and other parts of the Uk were leaving gifts out and getting Yule presents long before Old Christopher Columbus bumped into the New World.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE