Reindeer Hide/Skin Help Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 28, 2010
Kings Langley
Hi All

Not sure this is the right place for this question (Mods Please Move if not) but....

I went with my family to the Wilderness Gathering and we all had a great time. Learnt a lot and met some great people! FGYT's new knife folder
design looks great!

Many stalls were selling Reindeer Skins but knowing nothing about them we did not buy one. We now fancy one to use as a throw on one of our
chairs/possible as a rug(?)/to take camping to keep us warmer.

Now back I've done web searches and it seems there are 2 sorts, with and without silicon.

So can any one please tell me the differences? Is seems the siliconed ones can be used outside, i.e. less prone to damp so is it only the back that is siliconed? How does one look after them, either sort? Where is a good to purchase from, actual shop in the Herts/North London area, or on the web? Any other advice gratefully received

Thanks in advance

Steve

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
The silicone would be some sort of waterproofing and anti-messing agent.

Lord knows how you look after one:confused:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The silicone is to help prevent shedding. I have one without silicone (bought it two years ago) and it has lasted well although I am careful to keep it dry.

It is supposed to be more insulating than a sheepskin but tbh, in this damp climate I find a sheepskin more serviceable. It is less worried by wet, tougher and I have never noticed any marked difference in the warmth it retains. Cheaper too.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have had a few of both kinds and i would advise not to get one for the purpose you want it for !They both shed hair really badly and the hairs snap as well ,you would be cursing it in no time ,the hairs are quite hard to remove from some types of clothing.

Dec 28, 2010
Kings Langley
Thank you all

We are now rethinking!

nunzionuk I've emailed Ronnie's and they have them in stock. Shame I did not know as I was there 2 weeks ago but they are not far away.

Gill I saw those as well but I was just to late! That was a good purchase!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
All tanned reindeer hides will shed their hairs easier than the ones that have been dried. The dried ones are also cheaper. You can buy these directly from reindeer herders for 20€ (tanned cost around 70-80€ each).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE