Rehandleing an axe, as a beginner.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I have no woodworking skills and only an opinel knife, handsaw, and a few blunt files/rasps as woodworking tools.

I've been gifted an old hand axe head, to which I wire wheeled all the rust off of, blacked it using old engine oil and a blow torch, and I've put an edge on it.

I've just got to re-handle it now.

How easy would it be for a novice like myself to cut a piece of wood from a tree (Ash?) and whittle and cut it into shape and put it in the head, whilst green?

Or would I be better off buying a replacement handle?

Many thanks.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
The cheapest and fastest way is with a replacement handle. Sometimes just only an opinel and a skilled hand is enough. I started making my own handle but then I left for a beech replacement handle.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
If you fitted a green ash handle it would become loose as the wood shrinks when it drys out.Pretty dangerous!
If you say you have no skills perhaps best to buy and fit a handle.
Im sure theres a tutorial on here about making a handle?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Have a look on YouTube for a video on rehandling an axe. There is one by a young lad which has been sped up. Can't link you sadly.
It is a great video. Very useful.

As for using green wood, yeah that will shrink on you. Fitting a premade handle is a good option IMO.

Cheers
Andy

rimmer

Apr 1, 2010
eastsussex
ive done it once out of the wrong wood you could use beech or iron wood and you need to season it but if you take your time and do it right and remember to oil it it could last a lifetime.

udamiano

On a new journey
As launditch remarked, green wood will shrink, and you need to understand how the grain needs to run on axe hafts, so I would also recommend buying one to start with.
check the end grain is running front to back, and check the haft is straight, and not bent or twisted.
however nothing is stoping you having a go, and making a haft, for the next time you need one, and keep it stored and seasoning

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE