Refreezing of ice blocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I'm not aware of any current provision for this so I took the liberty to ask a local lady if she would be willing to refreeze coolbox ice blocks for those that could do with it. She runs the nursery thingy just up from the main gate. It may be nice if we supported her by buying some of her freshly grown food produce too. Her home is elsewhere so we would provide the blocks before she leaves and she would return with them in the morning. I'm not sure if that would be long enough to freeze the blocks well, they may need a full day cycle.

I know some have used a icecubes from the supermarket in the past but of course this can be messy and less than ideal. Both a drowned and/or warm coolbox are risky for obvious reasons. Teaching Grandma to suck eggs and all that but please be conscious of raw to prepared food cross contamination and storage temps. etc. I have seen some dodgey things in cool boxes in the past :rolleyes: eg raw chicken burgers swimming with ham, cheese and butter! Explosive diarrhea anyone?

I said we'd make it worth her while so a contribution towards freezing each couple of blocks of course. My proviso would be that the cold blocks would be dried off, well labelled and wrapped in a clear plastic bag so that we reduce the risk of cross contamination. If someone has an old cool bag for transporting the blocks back and forth then that would be appreciated.

The long and short of it is bring some labelled blocks and clear bags with you if you may wish to take advantage of this. Hope it will help some of you. I will probably bring some spare blocks with me for people too, if I can.

I use two propane fridges at the NC.

P.S. I know people tend to pop out to the supermarket or help each other out but I shop for the NC each day so I can grab fresh stuff like milk etc. if you give me a list and rounded up monies. ;)

Ta, Chef

Last edited:

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Thanks for arranging this.
It will be our first bushmoot and i do like a bacon butty in the morning. Thought i might have to miss out on these without a coolbox/bag.
Hopefully see you over in the naughty corner. Is it anywhere near the larch?

THE LARCH!

Greg

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Due to incidents, distractions and lack of sleep etc. I didn't get to organise a tub to collect blocks in reception, not that anyone particularly chased me on it.

It may be a better, ouch! just got hit in the face by a box sliding of a shelf above me, anyway it may be better to just arrange for people to drop of labelled up blocks to the lady at the nursery just up from the main gate as and when needed and give her someting for her effort. Perhaps someone can remind me about this next year.

Ta, Chef

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE