Reflections.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
There always seems to be a reflector oven mentioned in the cooking section of American outdoor books. And I have always been fascinated by the idea. So about 3 months aga I made one from wood and Aluminium foil. It was a great success. But ended up a bit burnt round the edges. The mark 2 version was made using 4 cheapo £1 baking sheets, a dark non stick baking sheet and wire to join the sheets. A search should give you the idea. Then we used it last night and cooked bannock and sausages. It is an excellent cooking method. As soon as the fire is lit you can start cooking, no need to worry about getting a bed of coals.
We (Explorers and I) got the fire going, the kettle on and started cooking bannock. In the time the water boiled and the tea made, the bannock was cooked, then served. Tea and Bannock, excellent.
I do recommend you try it.

Somebody elses oven

Mine is similar (Theres no no pictures.)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
great idea - can't quite work out how / why you set up the 5 trays...... could you not just get away with 3 trays (and some cunning support)

would love to see some pic's of your setup!

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Three trays, top reflector, bottom reflector, middle non stick cooking tray. Two verticle trays at the sides attached to support the three trays and give a stable base. Yes three trays and cunning support would do.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
of course i see now!:eek: - will be looking into making one myself!

cheers mate!

(if i suceed, i'll try to post some piccies but best not hold your breath mind!)

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Not much good for me as I already have one but I am keen to promote the idea of Reflector ovens in England. There are just so many advantages when cooking in a fixed camp. Though I don't really see them as a particularly Bushcraft item (know more carry less) as you have to either carry the oven or some reflective foil and some flat surfaces.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE