Reference Material in the field

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I'm sure like me you have numerous reference books in your library. I don't like to take them with me on every occasion chiefly because of weight! However my memory is not as good as when I was 20 and have started collecting relevant bits and pieces and copying and then laminating for reference in the woods. I also take Field Study Council sheets and the odd Observer book. For example I have copied for my latitude the monthly star charts and take the appropriate ones.
Does anyone else do this and if so what reference material do you take?

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing
Collins Gems books are palm size and are worth keeping in your EDC. There are two I carry "Food for Free" and "Mushrooms".

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Which FSC books do you Humpback ? I was looking at the mammal tracks and woodland plants ones the other day. Had them both in my basket and then got side tracked.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Shewie
I have the Tracks -very useful and the various woodland and other environment ones which give a cross section of common plants I also have the butterfly,caterpillar and moths ones plus others. I take the ones relevant to the locality but tracks and trees goes on every trip.
I think these pamphlets are very good value for money being waterproof, lightweight and suit my what's that mentality.
Have a look at www.field-studies-council.org/publications/foldout.aspx (click on te title to see the booklet)
(The Garden bird booklet is not recommended as the colours are not natural)
Alan

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
P1020154.jpg

I have this, made for me by topknot

Richard

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Its a brass weather forecaster. Put in pressure, pressure changes and wind direction and it tells you what the weather will be like (in theory...probably as good as the BBC's super computer)

Richard

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Nice pouch for carrying the wee books, impressive. Not too sure about the weather forecaster, everyone i've tried has lied! Even the one on my pc tells me it's raining and yet it's sunny and hot out the window!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i usually carry the SAS survival guide in my EDC wrapped in a ziploc bag (just incase) and my food for free and mushrooms goes in my pack. thus when out and about i can always check whats edible or safe and if i really need it i have the SAS guide which gives me some cracking advice on camp craft, shelters and some basics on survival and first aid :D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I carry (on occassion) a Flora. As I believe you have to ID a plant step by step (characteristics), rather than comparing it with a picture in a book. Some plants only differ in minute detail, often not caught in pictures or quick sketches. Vital if only that specific detail tells you whether or not you have to do with a toxic plant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE