Red Flint?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Not sure if this is the correct forum, mods please feel free to move thread.
While out foraging on the Suffolk Boone weekend, I picked up a red stone that looked interesting. The fields around here are full of chalk, brown and black flint, the black flint is especially good for producing sparks against a steel. This red stone, flint? was a lot easier to break down into usable sized pieces than the black flint, but produced an impressive set of sparks, as good as, if not better than the flint. Would anyone here be able to ID this stone. Thanks in advance.

11218052_10153729976194558_3398576409869555176_n.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice looking stone Mr. Kelly. There's a pond not far from Stonehenge that turns flint that colour. They reckon the grove and pond was used for religious purposes back in the day.
Have it's name written down somewhere so you can read up on it, will try to dig it out for you.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
A while ago I was working on a site in Lambeth, London and I've never seen as much flint in my life. There was masses of the stuff there.
There was some with a red tinge to it there as well.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Isn't it just red flint? I'm pretty sure flint can be any number of different colours and is usually effected by the surrounding ground (metal oxides and the like).

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for the info guys, I had only been aware of brown/black flint up till now. It definitely seemed a weaker kind of stone, easier to break, bur great sparks.

The jasper I find here tends to break into pieces rather than chip the way flint does, it is also totally opaque where flint has a slight translucency to it near the edges, it throws the best sparks of any stone I've used though flint, chalcedony, chert and jasper are practically the same stone as they're all silicone dioxide based.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The jasper I find here tends to break into pieces rather than chip the way flint does, it is also totally opaque where flint has a slight translucency to it near the edges, it throws the best sparks of any stone I've used though flint, chalcedony, chert and jasper are practically the same stone as they're all silicone dioxide based.

Thanks redneck. I would say you've nailed it. Thank for all the replies, it's hard to get an ID of it from my woeful description and bad pics. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm having trouble finding my notes but the site was about two km south east if Stonehenge at a Mesolithic encampment. Flint absorbed iron oxides from the water and when it was pulled out within the space of a couple of hours it turned a violent pink colour. Seemingly due to a rare type of algae in the water causing the reaction. Would've been seen as pretty magical (still does to me) a stone to makes fires, tools and turns pink. What's not magic about that.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Palaeocory

Forager
Flint can get really red (and pale grey) if it's been burnt. Are there little grey cracking patterns on it anywhere, or tiny circular flakes that have come off? If you can get a really nice macro shot closer to the material and from the sides it'd help identify. Also, if you great into it is it a different colour? If the outside it patinated it can throw you off.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I don't think it has been burnt and it seems to be the same colour all the way through. I'll have to wait until next month to get a better photo, as I left it at the camp.
Thanks for your input.

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
Burnt flint looks quite different and it doesn't look like the stained flint mentioned above (I put a vid of it on my youtube channel [link below]), I'd have to agree with Jasper having worked with it a lot. However I've never heard of Jasper in England and definitely not chalky Suffolk, plenty in Wales and Scotland though.

[video=youtube;IcO8G-9zdO8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcO8G-9zdO8[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE