Red Data list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 13, 2014
Devil's Bridge
Hi fellows.

I have been wondering if there is a procedure to follow if you happen across a rare or vulnerable specimen of say, a fungus. Is it just a case of eyeing it up and thinking "cool beans" and then walking on by or should you stop everything and record as much data as possible on the specimen and then hot foot it home to call the BMS and/or JNCC hotlines to report the find so that they know that particular rare or vulnerable fungus still exists and hasn't gone extinct just yet.

This past year I have been lucky enough to spot about 4 red list fungi, one of which was a couple of days ago and I'm not sure if I should report its presence to the relevent organisations or if I did make the effort to record the data and then sent it to them they would just open the email and say "Trametes suaveolens growing on Goat Willow? Pffft." and just delete all my diligent and enthusiastic work?

Oh what do?

Cheers.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There will be a national or local fungus recording society (usually county based) and you can let them know. Also there are recording centres in some areas. In my area I would contact the Gwent Fungus group, and the South East Wales Bioligical Recording Centre (SEWBREC). RDB species should always be recorded, although usually they will want confirmation from an independent expert.

Nov 13, 2014
Devil's Bridge
There will be a national or local fungus recording society (usually county based) and you can let them know. Also there are recording centres in some areas. In my area I would contact the Gwent Fungus group, and the South East Wales Bioligical Recording Centre (SEWBREC). RDB species should always be recorded, although usually they will want confirmation from an independent expert.

Thanks Harvestman. I'm based in Ceredigion and when I checked last year there was no fungus recording soc. in this county. The closest I could find is in Carmarthenshire and there is a pretty active one in Pembrokeshire so I'll give both those guys a heads up on what's growing around here.

I have just come across http://www.abfg.org/page/local-groups/42/, a charity for myco conservation I didn't know existed until now. :/
Their forum is a gold mine: http://www.abfg.org/bap/viewforum.php?f=89&sid=8b887b8697c445e65d59c3c9583f449d

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You need the location using os or gps co-ordinates. I will dig the email for the county recorder for Carmarthenshire and he will give the email for Cardiganshire. They like having samples. Or contact Pembrokeshire fungi group they will have details for your area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE