Recycling gas bottles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Details sent Rog.

Great stuff, much appreciated :) I really only need one, but if no one else wants the other I can still put it to good use. Send me a PM with your number and I'll call you to arrange pick up.

Once again many thanks :)

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
How would one 'make safe' an old gas bottle ???

I turn them upside down at the bottom of the garden and open the valve
Because the gas is heavier than air it pours out of the bottom of the bottle and air rushes in to replace it
Then to be extra safe i remove the valve and fill with water to displace any gas that may be left

Obviously dont do it whilst your smoking or near other sources of ignition

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Excellent work, must get myself a couple of cylinders. Any possible sources of these? Looked on Ebay but they're all miles away.

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
Just be careful with the calor gas bottles I know 2 guys who were making and selling them a calor gas man turned up with the police. They were done for theft and criminal damage as the bottles still belong to calor. Even if your given the bottles

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
This is my offering- hubby and I made it a couple of years ago to heat my tipi. We left the valve open, upside down, for a week, then removed it (not standing over it, just in case, I didn't fancy a permenantly fixed bindi protruding from my forehead ;) ) and filled with water twice, right up to the top as propane is heavier than air and I hadn't got him insured yet. We left it full for a few days each time then marked out, drilled the corners to start the cuts off, welded strip inside and a couple of lugs for a grating, some hinges and cheap door handles in and the jobs a good 'un!

he chimney attaches with a little collar- its essential to get a good draw when its cold and made the tipi a lot less smoky. You can balance a crusader nicely on the rim or for warm wash water, in the handle against the chimney.

534544_4303679824652_1543789894_n.jpg

I use the ash pan as a griddle... you get nice crunchy bits unless you cover over with some silicon fabric though! A good wire brushing after the first fire gave a real nice effect removing the heated paint layers... this is from last weekend so its developed more of a rust patina nowdays!

If I did another, I'd add a bead for fire rope round the doors and insert a butterfly valve into the chimney so it could be banked and kept in overnight. It isn't lightweight camping though!

PS theres a great tute at bikerlifestyle :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE