Recycling gas bottles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I made these a couple of years ago but i thought i would share them with you guys n girls

cauldron002.jpg

cauldron003.jpg

cauldron005.jpg

cauldron012.jpg

cauldron009.jpg

cauldron013.jpg

cauldron014.jpg

tundra.jpg

tundra021.jpg

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Nicework. A mate has made several similar and some real fancy ones too. I know folk who've put em in workshops n sheds. I'll have to see if I can get some pics .

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
The first one is a refrigerant bottle! R134a if I'm not mistaken??

they are a bit thinner than a normal " gas bottle" but I'm guessing easier to work with?

looks like a nice few bits of kit mate

Stu

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Thanks for the nice comments

The first one was made from a bottle that contained fire retardent and they are thinner but i liked the ready made dimple legs stamped into the bottom
I believe the disposable helium bottles that come with diy party bloon kits are the same design if anyone is searching for one

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
At least you made use of the empties,we have 2 on our site that have been there years,the skip man wont take them.
nice work.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
At least you made use of the empties,we have 2 on our site that have been there years,the skip man wont take them.
nice work.

Where abouts are you wulf? I'm sure people would come and collect, I for sure would take one off your hands!
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
One of them is a tall one,4' maybe!!believe it or not ive been on 2 sites over a period of 5 years and they've been following me.....there like a stalker:D the other is smaller.
im m18/m62 side of doncaster.
i'll get more details when i get back to work.

Really? I could make use of em if they're in your way?

Where abouts are you wulf? I'm sure people would come and collect, I for sure would take one off your hands!
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've got two empty helium bottles I was going to try this with. But I thought they were aluminium? I'm sure I've seen them turned into big cooking pots like those pictured though? CheersAndy

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Any problems with a coating inside the cooking one? I assume anything is burned off but is there anything there in the first place?

If a magnet sticks then there not alloy and your correct that any residue or coating gets burned off before a good scrubbing with a brillo pad

If you leave it outside to rust up then wire brush the corrosion of you will be left with a pitted surface to the steel that can be seasoned in the same way as cast iron cookware

Jul 18, 2012
Bristol
Nice work and Im sure you guys know what your doing but just a word of warning, thoroughly purge the bottle before working on it.
I worked with gas cylinders for twelve years and know of two people who were killed working on "empty" gas cylinders. Even a "empty" cylinder will still contain gas and can be even more dangerous than a full one, thats why they are so hard to dispose of.
Stay Safe :)

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
I saw someone repairing a classic car petrol tank on "Wheeler Dealers" they used a steam cleaner to purge any remaining fumes.

I guess you could use something like a domestic wallpaper stripper to the same effect?

Cheers
Bryan

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
One of them is a tall one,4' maybe!!believe it or not ive been on 2 sites over a period of 5 years and they've been following me.....there like a stalker:D the other is smaller.
im m18/m62 side of doncaster.
i'll get more details when i get back to work.

Either one would do the job dude so if you can still get hold of them I'd definitely have one if that's ok? It sounds like you're only about 20 mins up the M18 from me too :)

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
yeh there still there mate,saw them today,one is about 30",other is about 48".
either/both is yours mate..yeh 20 mins max.

Either one would do the job dude so if you can still get hold of them I'd definitely have one if that's ok? It sounds like you're only about 20 mins up the M18 from me too :)

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
Great stuff, much appreciated :) I really only need one, but if no one else wants the other I can still put it to good use. Send me a PM with your number and I'll call you to arrange pick up.

Once again many thanks :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE