Recycled Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Whilst sorting the recycling it got me thinking.
Now then I know a good few of us have made woodgas stoves out of a couple of cans or maybe a little meths stove out of a pop can.

What other bushcrafty items have people made out of recycled items (might even help pread the pennies out:D).
Looking forward to the inginuity.......
Cheers
Shutz

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wooden sporks and spoons out of scrap materials

Blow pokers out of old piping

Bags and cases out of an old inflatable canvas canoe shell

Hammock tree huggers from old seatbelts

Fire grills from old oven shelves and cooling racks

Gear storage at home from old fitted wardrobe inners

Canoe rack from the same wardrobe 2x2" joists

Alcohol stoves from deodorant tins and pop cans

Wrist warmers and neck tubes from old fleeces

Wet weather firelighters from old inner tubes

My four year old kindling supply from the old bathroom when we ripped it out, probably about 500ft of pine tongue and groove :)

The list goes on ....

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
Oil lamps from fish tins

Windshields for candles from milk bottles

Fire starters from sawdust and candle stubs

Bags for fire blacked pans from old t-shirts

Pan grabs from an old towel and t-shirt

Mittens knitted with wool from an unravelled old jumper

Char cloth from a tea towel a scout set on fire :lmao:

I never can pass a skip without having a look - I once found a moses basket which I used to store all my fleece for spinning (until the cat decided it would be good as a litter tray :yikes:)

And not exactly bushcraft but abandoned orange plastic netting from a building site is still doing good service as pea netting
after 7 years.

There's probably more

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Spoons and knife handles from skipped furniture (inc a Victorian Oak chest of draws - lots of good wood!)
Botles , ladles and storage jars from coconut shells
Bags and clothing from old tents
Clothing from old blankets
Belt and storage pouches from old leather garments and bags
etc etc

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My camping cutlery (bone fork, carved wooden spoon, and titanium spork) were always getting covered in soot from being stored with my woodburner. So I turned an odd sock from the back of the sock drawer into a cutlery pouch. Perfect.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Containers of all shapes and sizes get pressed into duty as carriers for camping sized;
water, parafin, meths, shampoo, shower gel, washing up liquid, cooking oil containers.

Riflemans hunting shirt from old army blankets.

Cut off legs from old army trousers make great stuff bags as they already have a drawcord on them.

My favourites are billy cans from biscuit and tea/coffee/sugar tins.

ATB

Ogri the trog

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
Bags and pouches from caravan awning.Garden hammock from orange plastic netting off building site.Pouches out of side pockets on army trousers.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the new forge is being made from a 6L gas bottle i just finished off, and some steel pipe i scrounger from the industrial steel place, and my anvil is a section of I beam from the same place, its 30 inches long 8 inches wide 9 inches deep and 3/4 inch thick at the top and bottom of the I section.........

all i need now is insulation which is coming throught the post, its the only thing i have payed for, £28.30 in total for a gas forge, not bad i dont think.........

i also make billy cans from 1L dog food cans, they fit inside my hobo, another tin, the billy is perfect to fit a 1L sports bottle inside it, se its great all fits inside each other.......

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hobo stove from discarded sink drainer, billies from coffee tins, biscuit tins etc, crusader cup lid from bent messtin, pot hangers from supports off a busted paperhangers table, pot hooks from a busted leaf rake, flint and steel sets from old files, waterproof stuff sacks from old goretex jackets - I love junk!

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Just what i thought pretty resouceful buch of folk:D
I too can't go past a skip without having a quick look..you just never know. Managed to get an old water tank and pressed it into service as a small chicken coup.
The woodgas stove i knocked up after info from here and elsewhere was a great success, pretty surprised how it worked.
Also old christams decorations tinsel etc have been used to tie flies with.
Anyway really liking some of the ideas. Hmmm..

The little waxed carboard burner great idea. Also wished i hadn't let the awning go with the old caravan:(
Toying with making a canoe sail out of an old beach shelter..
Cheers folks thanks for sharing.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just saw an article in MotorcycleNews about a couple of kids doing a cheapo bike tour. They used old shower-curtains for waterproofing (groundsheets/tarps presumably)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Many things ive made were out of recycled materials or free natural materials.
Knives, stoves, bags, tarps, coats, saws.
Ive also had some quality stuff out of skips, which ive used on home and garden DIY.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE