Recta DP2 compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Having used Silva baseplate compasses for years i fancied using something different. I spotted the recta offerings online; the Dp2 and 6 have cought my eye.

I have no expirience of Recta as a brand and the DP compasses are an unusual looking design to me.

Has anyone here got expieience with the DP2 compass?
Is it an easy transition to this type of sighting compass from baseplate type?
Are Recta as good as/reliable as Silva compasses?Recta_Kompass_DP_2_450410_g.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bought my first and only Recta in 1965 on the recommendation of a well-to-do professional prospector.
Still have it, still use it, despite the bubble that has developed.

Field & Stream, the big American Outdoors magazine, publishes an annual list of the "Best of The Best"
outdoor equipment, tested in hundreds of categories. Based on that, I bought a Brunton Eclipse (1088? 1066?)
compass. Very complex and diverse set of accessories built into it with a rubber armour casing.
It's worth a look.

While my Recta is small and compact at 20x45x65mm (steel case, 95g,) the Brunton is 25x70x105mm (plastics, 110g.)
Sudden mountain snowstorms in hunting season are not uncommon here. Very easy to lose all sense of direction, like you're inside a light bulb.
A good compass is a good thing.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I use a Dp2 regularly in the Lakes.
Once you get used to it, the system makes for very fast sighting for setting and holding bearings.
Give it a whirl.Quality wise mine seems bomb proof.Used to be std equipment for lots of the more serious soldiers I worked with.
Simon

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have the DP2 and love it. I carry it in my work/EDC bag so when I'm away, often, I can get out for a walk without bringing all my walking kit with me.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
See the sight-line mirror hanging below the bezel in pic #1? Tip the compass forward and the mirror will drop into the box case.
Tip back and it drops out and down again. My old Recta looks almost identical.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE