Record Combination planes swap for WHY

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I have 3 Record combination planes (see pics) that I would like to swap for a Swisschamp or Cybertool and/or a fixed blade knife (old school) - nothing fancy, don't mind condition too much.

I'm also after a good pair of boots (walking boots), size 8, brown or black but full leather in and out.

There are 2 types of plane, all the rails needed are there, plus a plastic pouch of different blades. They are old and have been kept boxed in a cupboard for years so there is some surface rust, but nothing that can't be cleaned off. There is a booklet as well for the 050c plane.

Not sure about trade value but there's one on Gumtree for £95 - this is 3! I am open to offers though - I don't use them and would be pleased if someone else did.

If you want any other pics let me know.

Last edited:

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Cheers guys.

If no one has a Swisschamp or Cybertool, does anyone have a decent old school full tang knife to swap? Nothing fancy required though I would love an IzulaII.

Last edited:

pedrodog66

Jun 9, 2014
Dalgety Bay
got a pair of Scarpa Asolo leather walking boots I would have gladly swapped you but unfortunately I believe they are only a size 7 and I'm not quite sure just how roomy they are made and if they would be any use to you:confused:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Suddenly remembered a had these beauties, size 42. UK 8 Scarpas, got just before my feet inexplicably grew a size in length when I was in my late 30s.

image.jpg1_zpssmpdrgrn.jpg

Cost at a fortune and I forget what model they are.

even fitted with new Sorb insoles.

any use?

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Definitely not Goretex but not leather either .

Scarpa SL M3 s I think they were called. I was saving them to see if any of the sons wanted real boots but the 15 year old us already in size 9s and the youngest who's still in 8s had no interest and the eldest is about to catch up with his younger brothers great plates!

at the time they reviewed extremely well. They still make them but off course they have ruined them with " contemporary touches"

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/scarpa/sl-m3/

image.jpg1_zpsicfy9ezs.jpg

No worries if they don't suit, just suddenly remembered them .

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Planes received thanks! I've the parts for the 040 and the best bits to make up a 050C in the oxalic acid bath, the other bits I'll do up as /if I require spares. Really nice shape apart from some trivial surface rust that I could have ignored but being me couldn't. I nearly attacked the frames with the wire wheel until I noticed they are plated.

ill put up some pics on my tools thread when they are done.

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well here they are!

i need to source a second knurled screw for the 050C and a depth stop for the 044 to finish them but that shouldn't be difficult.

I've cleaned up the spare blades less the beading ones which Ill do tomorrow. I'm pretty chuffed with them anyroad!

P1010008_zps8q2vz17d.jpg

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Blimey that was quick. Nice work Tom, they look like new - except, unless you want to spend a serious wad of cash, you wouldn't get that quality with new. Even more envious now!!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Since the frames are plated they just needed a hour in the oxcilic acid bath then a quick rub with chrome polish and a old tooth brush, wash and rinse till red hot I boiling water so on being pulled out they dry themselves in seconds. The othe parts got a oxcilic acid bath a rub dry after rinsing if plated or a turn on the wire wheel if not.

For some reason the blades did not respond to the oxcilic so I gave them a hour in the hot citric acid and then a spin on the wire wheel to remove the black residue. You have to be very careful not to lose the edge unless you like sharpening lots of leeetle blades!

just heard from my tool guy in Colne and tomorrow he will go through his rebate plane spares to see if he has the bits I need. Nice man. I'd assumed he'd keep spares to do up stuff for his stall and had asked for a source rather than if he has any spare.

atb

tom

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
They look beautiful Tom! I'm so pleased they will get some use. My boots have walked quite a few miles already and have only left my feet to climb into bed.

Cheers, Magentus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE