Reconstruction of the face of Neolithic man from Stonehenge

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Was thinking more Barry Gibb of Bee Gees ;)

I was thinking he looked more like a young Kris Kristofferson :)

Kris-Kristofferson.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's it!................Kris Kristofferson it is! I've been racking my brain since I first saw this to dig that out...............................

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was thinking he looked more like a young Kris Kristofferson :)

Kris-Kristofferson.jpg

Exactly who i had in mind. Missus thought he was quite hunky.

So far as the grave goes, you can dig mine up and make ash trays from my patella's. No use to me any more.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I presume that while the facial reconstruction is based on the skull shape the hair style is pure conjecture?

And the beard I would hazard a guess along with his nose shape and eye colour, shape of ears and general weight, all done on average flesh measurements of more modern people and put through a computer generated system to give a good base model to work from.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is going to sound racist, and it's anything but that; however, knowing the bone structure and from that the attachment points for muscle, and likely position of cartilege on the nose, etc, one is able to build up a fairly representative 'base model'.
That base model often falls within known stereotypes. We all recognise subtle elements in faces that say "Scottish", "Irish". "John Bull", "Norwegian", "German", "Indian", "Greek", etc., etc., to us. Given a pretty blank canvas an experienced reconstruction expert can have a rather accurate best guess at the details that the bones do not give.
The final result is usually close enough that his relatives would at least find him familiar and often (from the forensic work done on murder victims) it seems that the face is recognisably the individual under study.

Quite fascinating to watch the process :)

cheers,
M

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Not at all racist Toddy, but not sure how many travellers there were in time segment they were dealing with. Computer profiling from average measurements does help though, rather than the old system of sticking pegs of thickness onto the skull and filling in between with clay and using an individuals guess work to get it right. With the use of computer modelling they can at least try a number of variables to see what they get. A fascinating subject to work with.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
This is going to sound racist, and it's anything but that; however, knowing the bone structure and from that the attachment points for muscle, and likely position of cartilege on the nose, etc, one is able to build up a fairly representative 'base model'.
That base model often falls within known stereotypes. We all recognise subtle elements in faces that say "Scottish", "Irish". "John Bull", "Norwegian", "German", "Indian", "Greek", etc., etc., to us. Given a pretty blank canvas an experienced reconstruction expert can have a rather accurate best guess at the details that the bones do not give.
The final result is usually close enough that his relatives would at least find him familiar and often (from the forensic work done on murder victims) it seems that the face is recognisably the individual under study.

Quite fascinating to watch the process :)

cheers,
M

Very odd then that people reject, sometimes quite vehemently, the descriptions ny Tacitus of the "races" of Britain when you can actually see these types walking around today.

"Who were the original inhabitants of Britain, whether they were indigenous or foreign, is, as usual among barbarians, little known. Their physical characteristics are various, and from these conclusions may be drawn. The red hair and large limbs of the inhabitants of Caledonia point clearly to a German origin. The dark complexion of the Silures, their usually curly hair, and the fact that Spain is the opposite shore to them, are an evidence that Iberians of a former date crossed over and occupied these parts. Those who are nearest to the Gauls are also like them, either from the permanent influence of original descent, or, because in countries which run out so far to meet each other, climate has produced similar physical qualities. "

Tacitus Agricola Book 1

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, he had a point.

what you have said about Archaeology is how it is, I think. (not that I have learned much.)

My great Grandfather died at Salonica.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE