Recommended Reading

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rick

Jun 26, 2005
Brighton
Doc said:
I do not wish to open the Tom Brown controversy again - I do think anyone reading his books should be aware there is a controversy though. Is that ok?.

What controversy? I don't want to open up a can of worms but I do enjoy reading Tom Brown. Have I missed something? I'd definitely put them on my top 50.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Rick said:
What controversy? I don't want to open up a can of worms but I do enjoy reading Tom Brown. Have I missed something? I'd definitely put them on my top 50.

this is a can of worms your grasping for Rick, best you do a internet search for the answer.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Yep - sorry for being so cryptic. There's plenty of info on the net and folk can weigh things up and form their own opinions.

Moving to happier things:
I didn't explain Sigurd Olson very well - here's a typical quote:

"I know now as men accept the timeclock of the wilderness, their lives become entirely different. It is one of the great compensations of primitive experience, and when one finally reaches the point where days are governed by daylight and dark, rather than by schedules, where one eats if hungry and sleeps when tired, and becomes completely immersed in the ancient rhythms, then one begins to live." Sig Olson - Reflections of the North Country, 1976.

He is also noted for his death. One winters day he went out in the snow and died suddenly from a heart attack. In his typewriter was a piece of paper. It read 'I'm going on a new adventure, and I'm sure it will be a good one.'

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Olson is really a pleasure to read. Here is one of my favorite quotes from

Reflections of the North Country, Tradition, 1976.

I own an old Finnish knife or puukko, the blade made from an old file, the handle and molded case of birch bark. I have carried it for thousands of miles and it has never failed me. The well-tempered steel is hard enough to open a tin and still sharp enough to fillet a fish without needing retouching. Not long ago I dropped it while at Listening Point, and traced and retraced my steps without avail....Since it was early November, the smell of snow was in the air, and we knew if we did not find it then, it would lie outdoors all winter.

"Let’s go back once more," Al said before dusk settled down. "We might just be lucky." Back we went.....Then, with a shout of triumph, my young friend ran over and placed the knife in my hand. Before he left, he took a picture of me standing by the cabin turning the knife over and over. Far more than a tool, the knife to me a symbol of the spirit that went into the cabin, the canoe, and all things made by men proud of their work and of what they had learned to do.

Does this quote not explain why a well-used knife always takes a few extra moments before it goes back in the sheath?

Olson is the author of about 10 books and many many articles. A wonderful web site is kept on him by David Backes who is also the author of The Meaning of Wilderness, A Wilderness Within: The Life of Sigurd F Olson and The Spirit of the North...all excellent.

http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/JMC/Olson/

Rod

On a new journey
:eek: For the totally bloodthirsty :eek:
"Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver Eating Johnson" by Raymond Thorp & Robert Bunker.

This is an account of the life of American Mountain Man John Johnston (know to some as Jeremiah Johnson (played by Robert Redford in the film)). The accounts were given by some of the few who lived trapped/hunted/ and generally killed 'injuns' alongside him! Researched between the 1920's and late '40s & published in 1958. You can get it on Amazon, or order at your local bookshop. What Tim Nice But Dim would call a "Bl***y Good Read" ;)

The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. His account of escape from a Russian POW / labour camp during WWII and his walk to India to rejoin the Allies :eek:

The Last Place on Earth by Roland Huntford. A comparative biography of Roald Amundsen & Capt. Scott. I confess to having had some doubts about Scott's abilities prior to reading this book - which were confirmed. Amundsen, on the contrary, was a (lucky) genius.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE