Recommendations for 'legal' wild camping sites in south/mid england

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michaelp

Jul 5, 2009
stony stratford
Hi,

A group of friends and I are looking for somewhere that we can basically hire a bit of woodland where we can have a first small group winter foray into wild camping. We're all a considerate bunch, and while a couple of us have some bushcraft skills, the others are novices - hence thinking a safe entry (with a safe exit!) is a good idea.

Basically, we'd like somewhere that would allow us to forage for wood/other items, build a fire (maybe even a stone oven), build a shelter etc. Ideally it woudl be near a river so we could catch our dinner.

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
If only it were that simple...

Unfortunately there are not many places where you will be able to do what you want legally. I would suggest that you contact Glyn Y Mul or Yellow wood campsites (both very bushy friendly) and chat to them. I doubt that you will be able to do as you please, but you will be able to to do more bushy stuff than on a conventional campsite or by squatting in someone's woodland. You could try contacting some of the places that run courses to see if they let you camp on their land (at a price) for a couple of days.

If you do find somewhere, however, make sure you let me know where it is...:)

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I camped at Yellow Wood with friends earlier this year. Paul (if I'm remembering names right) is a keen bushcrafter and seems to pretty much live in the wood. Fires are permitted with some restrictions. You are not allowed to use gathered dead wood nor to cut wood- firewood can be bought or brought. Didn't ask about shelter building and such, given the above restrictions it might be tricky.

The wood has water at the "entrance" and a compost loo. We had a great time - perfect for my attempts to get some friends with kids into wildish camping.

If you explain your needs to Paul you may find him accomodating.

Cheers,

Xav

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Although the Yellow Wood site is in walking distance of the river Wye (even for 3yr old!), that doesn't necessarily translate into fishing possibilities! Again, ask Paul.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
There's always the option of the meet in November at Rough Close, Coventry. Decorum sets them up but I think Mesquite and Wayland are at the helm for this one. £4 per night and you can do everything but catch food from a river there. Plus the added bonus of being able to ask others for advice or help with anything you're unsure of...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46180

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Another vote for yellowwood, Paul the owner is a great bloke.
I will have to get down and see him again soon..

I've stayed at Orchard Campsite (Suffolk). They have a woodland area you can camp in and allow fires (but you have to buy over-priced firewood from them). There is a small river at the bottom of the campsite where you are allowed to fish.
It doesn't exactly feel very wild there though, and you certainly couldn't build a shelter there. Google them if you are interested.

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
I can reccomend Glyn Y Mul theres not really any wood to be found due to the number of campers they get in a year and i wouldnt cut any but you can buy sacks by the office.

there is a river there but i didnt see any fish. fires are allowed down in the wooded area and there are numerous stone fire pits built by others so dont think a stone oven would be a problem.

owners were lovely and friendly when we were there

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
One of the skills of Bushcraft in the East and Southeast is finding good sites. I usually start by scanning google maps satelite imagery for woodland or remote bits of coast. Whether you ask permission is up to you, but my short, covert stopovers have never caused any harm or hostilities.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE