Recommendations for 1-2 man tent on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Hi all!
as you can see from my post count - i'm still new to the site, and also new to bushcraft. i've been spending a great couple of weeks reading all the articles, reviews and posts, and a big thanks to everyone for all the info, and congrats to all for making such a brilliant site!
i'm usually a family camper - The Other Half + 4 younglings in a Royal Montpellier 12 tent, LR Discovery + trailer crammed with camp kitchens, tables, chairs, and god knows what else - i'm sure you can picture it.
however, i'm feeling the need for a different kind of weekend away that is a bit simpler!
i've been getting the basic kit together - knife, axe i had anyway, but i've got a little wood-burner from a recommendation, and a few other bits. as the thread title suggests, i would be grateful for any recommendations for a 1-2 man tent (The Other Half may want to come once in a while!). it has to be up to withstanding N.Wales/Lakes/Peaks weather for 3 seasons of the year, and the easier to pitch, the better (i have nightmares about pitching the 12 man thing!)
i don't need anything that you can pitch 1/2way up Everest in a storm, just a good value tent - i might buy a better one second-hand on ebay, so any recommendations welcome!
thanks
gorilla

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I have one of these: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3409172.htm

Nice little bit of kit for the price. There was a dicussion on here before about these tents and on the whole they were quite highly thought of if I recall correctly.

The only problem I have ever had is that you can wake in the morning a little damp from condensation, a way to battle this is only to close the mesh door and erect a tarp over head. It has been referred to as bivvying without the bugs before. Hope this helps, ATB....Stu

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was thinking getting a lidl £10 two man tent. They are made by high peak, which make reasonable tents. I was thinking of putting a small parachute tarp over the top (9.99 tescos) as one skin tent are normally rubbish. I am not envisaging it being more than two seasons though. Like most things you get what you pay for, but there is an upper limit where tents become overpriced IMHO.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
thanks all - i've put both the vangos on my watch list
squidders - around £50-60, but like i say, i'd be equally happy with a good used one on ebay, so that doesn't limit it to a new price

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE