Recommendation for a double bit axe handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smokin

Sep 6, 2011
England
Hey guys,

I bought a vintage axe a week or so ago and I'm in the process of restoring it to it's former beauty at the moment. Unfortunately though, I can't see to find a suitable handle for it! Initially, I thought a Gransfors Bruks double bit handle would do but the thickness of the axe at the eye is apparently only 5.5cm but the axe head I've got is 7cm wide, and I would prefer not to have any gaps. Other axe, or pick axe, handles I've looked into seem to have a similar problem too. Can anyone recommend a handle which might do the job? I'd like hickory if possible, around 35" in length and as long as it's wide enough at the top, I'm sure it'll do a job for me!

Thanks!
Jack

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They simply are not available in the UK. Your choices are to import one from the US or, as Stew suggests, make one. You can find pick axe handles wide enough and then use a draw knife and shave horse to shape them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE